Meet Drogo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriHope03

Hello everyone! I am new to this board and I have a beardie who is about 4 months old and his name is Drogo. I would post pictures but I'm not sure how haha!

dezismom

Juvie Member
Welcome to the forum! I love the name Drogo, he was one of my favorite characters of that show.

To post photos, go to the menu at the top left corner of this page, scroll down to "other fun stuff", and ckick on "New! image upload manager" follow the directions. It is quite easy with good directions. If you still need any help, feel free to ask. There are many great people here who are helpful and know beardies...so do ask about anything you are unsure of, and someone will help out. My best advice is to read as much as you can about beardie care here. Especially read up on metabolic bone disease, (MBD) which is a bad nitritional disorder and can be avoided easily with proper care. I knew nothing about that, and bought the per stores "Bearded dragon set up" which was not adequate, but luckily found this site right away and bought the right equipment immediately. There are care sheets and good info here. As babies, Beardies grow so quickly, you have to provide all the right nutrition, UVB, heat, etc, feom the start. These amazing creatures are well worth any time or money you put into them, and yours will be a great friend for years to come.

DeziLu says, welcome Drogo!!

82765-8363464977.jpg

BriHope03

Original Poster
99310-8909510001.jpg

Ah ha! Here is Drogo. He is a handsome boy lol. Khal Drogo was one of my favorites too! I wanted to name him Drogon after the actual dragon in the show but it was harder to say than Drogo lol.

Thank you for the tips!

Your dragon is beautiful!

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Drogo is very handsome just like his namesake :D he looks like he could be my Biggs sibling, almost identical.
97320-4500877461.jpg
Miss Biggs says hello. This is a pic of her at 4 months. Enjoy your adventures with your boy.

BriHope03

Original Poster
He does look like Biggs! They even have that same orange stripe near their ears. Miss Biggs is very beautiful!

To be honest... I'm not sure if Drogo is a boy yet haha.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Biggs says thank you. I thought Biggie Smalls was a boy too, found out last month I have a Miss Biggs! Wouldn’t trade her for anything though. Love how their personalities seem to grow with them. Never realized how attached I could get to a lizard (she is my first) Like Dezismom I bought the bearded dragon set up kit. Thankfully I found this site and learned as much as I could and listened to all advice. Still learning. I look forward to reading all of your adventures and seeing pics of Drogo as he grows. Wonder if they will look the same as adults.

BriHope03

Original Poster
Lorilyn":285ddsgf said:
Biggs says thank you. I thought Biggie Smalls was a boy too, found out last month I have a Miss Biggs! Wouldn’t trade her for anything though. Love how their personalities seem to grow with them. Never realized how attached I could get to a lizard (she is my first) Like Dezismom I bought the bearded dragon set up kit. Thankfully I found this site and learned as much as I could and listened to all advice. Still learning. I look forward to reading all of your adventures and seeing pics of Drogo as he grows. Wonder if they will look the same as adults.

How did you figure out what gender Biggs is?

They really are adorable and their personalities are amazing.

I also bought a kit and I am now seeing the issues with it. I have had Drogo since March and already, two of the lights that came with the kit have blown. I bought him new bulbs but that was before I found this site. As I get more money I will be replacing things in his cage to make it better but for now, I am doing the best I can with what I have. I plan to get one of those long UVB lights that stretches the entire terrarium and I also plan to change out his substrate for tile.

I look forward to seeing more of you guys' dragons too!

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
I found a reptile vet about an hour from where I live and took her in for a healthy lizard checkup just in case something ever happened and I needed a vet! That's when I was informed that because I did everything this site recommended to me that I was the only first time beardie owner that has gotten 100% on husbandry and Biggie Smalls was a very healthy dragon with just one problem.... he is a she! hahahaha so since she looks when I call her name I only changed to Biggs (if she didn't respond to her name I would have changed her name to Gucci) When I got the T5 HO UVB with reflector hood I noticed a huge change in her eating and activity. She ate more than a horse and growth was incredible. But like you I could only do a little at a time. Very worth it. You can also change substrate to paper towels also until you can get the tile. And cheapest place I found for the T5 was amazon.

BriHope03

Original Poster
Lorilyn":1csgulsr said:
I found a reptile vet about an hour from where I live and took her in for a healthy lizard checkup just in case something ever happened and I needed a vet! That's when I was informed that because I did everything this site recommended to me that I was the only first time beardie owner that has gotten 100% on husbandry and Biggie Smalls was a very healthy dragon with just one problem.... he is a she! hahahaha so since she looks when I call her name I only changed to Biggs (if she didn't respond to her name I would have changed her name to Gucci) When I got the T5 HO UVB with reflector hood I noticed a huge change in her eating and activity. She ate more than a horse and growth was incredible. But like you I could only do a little at a time. Very worth it. You can also change substrate to paper towels also until you can get the tile. And cheapest place I found for the T5 was amazon.

That's so funny! Drogo turns his head to hearing his name too so if he is a she.... oh well haha.

I'll look into amazon! Is there a brand that is better?

My only problem with paper towels and newspaper is that the crickets can hide in the layers.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
I think Arcadia is the best. Not sure. I’m still new to being a Beardie mom. The experts on here are much better for advice on that. I know that is the one I am saving up for when I can. (She pretty much ate her way through my secret money stash) I got the Reptisun T5 tube because it was in my budget at the time. Best advice I can give is to read through all the postings. And ask questions.
I do know I was having issues with the crickets hiding and the advice I was given was to shake them up and get them a bit dizzy and slow and only give one or two at a time so both Biggie and I could track them better. (She has since moved on from crickets, thank God cause she was eating 60 a day) and with the Dubia Roaches I put them in a small bowl a few at a time (again decided she doesn’t want anymore of those) and now that she is big enough I hand feed her her worms. Which the little princess decided hand feeding is much better and more to her liking :banghead:

BriHope03

Original Poster
I will keep an eye out then!

Thankfully Drogo mostly eats crickets. I give him some meal worms in his greens (even though he still doesn't eat the greens). Omg I would hate to hand feed Drogo haha. Especially not the worms ?

dezismom

Juvie Member
wow! Both Drogo and Biggie are absolutely beautiful, healthy and happy looking Beardies!! I can see they do look like they could be related, with such similar colors. They also have same head shape, crowns, everything. Congratulations on having found such remarkable creatures. I think we beardie owners are very lucky! I cannot imagine my life, without my big beautiful boy, DeziLu. My husband calls him my "familiar", because if he sees me, Dezi is somewhere nearby. Dezi and I are so similar in personality, too. I am NOT a morning person, and neither is Dezi. I am suspicious of new foods, and so is he...when I am feeling poorly, Dezi knows it. It is like we have this deep, supernatural attachment...do you also experience that with your dragons? My hubby also calls me "queen of Dragon" like the show, only singular, since I have just one.

The UVB light I have used and have had good results with is a reptisun desert flourescent tube light. It is the long kind, 24", goes in an aquarium hood. The important thing with any UVB is to change it out every six months to the day, or a little sooner. They begin to lose their UVB strength from the minute you plug them in. After six months, they are still producing visible light, but no UVB to speak of. I always have a piece of tape with the date of purchase, and the date to replace right on the fixture. I have noticed that near the end date, Dezi has reduced appetite and activity. When the light is replaced, he eats like a piggie and is much more active and happy! For that reason, I may start to replace the light sooner, like every five months, but as you know, these things are not cheap! Of course, any price is well worth it, for my Dezi...I may eat peanut butter and ramen noodles all week, but Dezi gets the best! ha, ha! Having two dragons must be twice as wonderful!

here is Dezi, demonstrating good napping technique, in our Rv on his favorite window perch...can we say, spoiled dragon? :)
82765-3475057078.jpg

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Awww Dezi is Awsome. He is demonstrating perfect dragon napping form! Biggs and I are similar in a lot of ways. We both don’t trust new people and we both love a good nap, we both like the morning and like to go to sleep pretty early, oh and we both love the sun. He is only 7 months now so we still have a long time to get familiar. My dog was my familiar. Lost him a year ago to old age. It was like part of my soul was ripped out. I think Biggs was sent to me to help repair some of those tears and holes. And I am shocked but she is doing a fantastic job of it.

Thanks for the tip on replacing the bulb. I will have to order one soon. And it’s shocking how similar in looks Drogo and Biggs are.
97320-2753799251.jpg
This is Biggs a few days ago demonstrating how to assume proper position and claim her spot!

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thank you!

Holy, moly, Biggs is really BIG! Have you measured her? I read that the largest captive raised Beardie in the USA was 24"....My bg boy just lately made the 24" mark, and I have never seen one that looked near his size, until seeing your Miss Biggs! She is a beauriful creature, and so sweet looking as she rests on you. Good form, Biggs!! You are one amazing beardie, for sure!

Now I know why people react as they do, when they see me and Dezi in the store... It makes a big impression.
(no pun intended, ha, ha!) I am a small person...only 5 ft tall and less than 100 lbs., so a two ft long "big boned"lizard like Dezi can rest his chin on my neck and his tail goes almost to my knees. In public, It is hard not to be noticed--People come up to us right away, especially other beardie owners, to comment on Dezi's size. Some want to pet him, and Dezi does not mind, but I do not allow strangers to hold him. We are okay with the attention, most of the time. I use it as an opportunity to educate people about Beardies, so they do not go off and make a quick purchase without knowing how much money and time it takes to raise these babies properly. But if we want to be in store quietly, with no social interaction, I have to keep Dezi in his travel bag or under my shirt. (with his orange tail peeking out from the hem of the shirt, it looks a bit interesting, I am sure!)

I am sorry about your loss of your dear pup. I lost mine to age two years ago, and was also totally devastated. I fell apart completely. I just could not even face the thought of getting another dog--I still cant look at any photos without being depressed and sad. Like you with Biggs, I think Dezi was sent to me to fill the void. I got him "accidently". We originally bought him for our young nephew, who was going through some difficult times. We thought having a little lizard would help him, and I had no idea of how big they could be, or how much time and $$ was involved. Dez was just a little baby, and nephew fell in love with him on sight. But nephew lost interest after just a couple of weeks, and I could not let any creature be so neglected.I became his primary caretaker, and he chose me for his owner. It has changed my life! No other pet has been like DeziLu. He truly is the perfect companion for me.

Here is Dezi last year. Since then, he has grown longer, and a bit less plump. But there is still plenty of lizard to love??
Dezi says, hey there bigg, beautiful Lizard lady!
82765-6136402441.jpg

BriHope03

Original Poster
Wow! Those are some beautiful, BIG dragons! I love them! Miss Biggs and Mr. Dezi are amazing and I can only hope Drogo ends up looking like Miss Biggs when he gets bigger.

Lorilyn, I am sorry about the loss of your dear pup. I know that can be very difficult. I've lost a few pups in awful ways. My current pup is actually the oldest pup I have ever had and she has been around much longer than any other dog I have had. Her name is Opal and she is 2. Granted I myself am fairly young and she is the first dog I have had myself, outside of my mom's house. I know if she passed, I would be devastated... I am glad you found Miss Biggs though! She definitely loves you!

Here is my sweet pup:
99310-2997982581.jpg
99310-1846775478.jpg

At the moment, Drogo isn't super attached to me. I don't think so at least. He is a good dragon and he brings me endless joy. He is the absolute best "caged" animal that I have ever had! Move over hamsters, gerbils, and the like. Bearded Dragons are definitely the best. I have always been like your nephew Dezismom, I would get a caged pet thinking it would be awesome but then I would get bored with them within a few weeks (mostly because I always seemed to pick biters). Not with Drogo though! I love him to bits and I have had him since March of this year. But in all honesty, he has not seemed to bond with me much. Most days he will let me pick him up without a problem and he has only hissed at me once and that was after a road trip so it was to be expected. Also, his beard starts to turn black if it looks like I will pick him up. Do you guys have any tips on bonding with him?

Here is a picture of him from last night and a few days ago:

99310-3207870764.jpg
99310-1867285036.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom