New bearded owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachh86

Hey everyone I'm a new bearded dragon, name is coco we got Him/she last Friday(unsure of sex yet). We got coco from petsmart. He seemed to be the most activate healthy of the 3 in the tank. So far coco seems timid and unsure of things, he does alot of basking but moves around his cage pretty actively and regularly. He has 40 gal tank and he's roughly 6-7 inches right now. I'm having a bit of trouble Getting him to eat right now from what I read that might just be due to being in a new place.he seems to eat a few of the dead worms or crickets but never more than 5 or so and he has alittle interest in veggies but not much But I would love to hear your thoughts on it. So far he seems like a pretty active fiesty fella, can't wait to see more of. His personality come out. Here are some pictures of him and his home. Any tips are welcome as I'm brand new to this. Temp in his basking area sits around 90-95 and. His cool area sits around 75-85
His cage and lights all came from 40 gal pet smart starter kit.
99126-9419658961.jpg
99126-5425009080.jpg
99126-9858753220.jpg

rjaimz1

Do you have a temp gun to accurately measure temps? if not what are you using? What are you feeding your beardie,specifically? Here are some lighting tips....The light on the hot side the basking light is needed for daytime (12-14 hours on and 12-10 hours off) having the correct temperature for a Bearded Dragon's digestion is important for their well-being.
young Bearded Dragons prefer 105-110 degrees F. while older prefer 100-105 F. That's for the surface of the basking area. They should also have access to a cooler area across the tank from the basking spot, and this is called the "cool side". The cool side should be 70-85 degrees F. for all ages. Night time temps in the 70's is good and necessary as long as it does not drop below 65.
Also to make them more comfortable I would put a background up. It makes them more secure. Even printer paper will do. What do you use the 3 bowls for? sorry for all the questions, just trying to help

Zachh86

Original Poster
I just bought a temp gun and his basking spot is around 98 degrees and the rest is around 90s. And his cool area is around 75. What he seems to like the most is the zoo meds can o worms and crickets are hit or miss it seems, he will eat lettuce, and strawberry and the hell mix papaya stuff. Everything else I have tried in the food bowl he doesn't seem to care for. And I'm putting a background from national geo up now. The 3 bowls is water and food and the big one that I thought was like a bath thing apparently is food too so I'm not sure what to use it for.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Welcome to the forum! You will need to change the diet, here is a good and reliable list of foods that your beardie should and shouldn't eat: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html
Also, it looks like you have a compact UVB ligh. Those are no good, you need to purchase a tube light instead, such as a Reptisun 10.0 T5 uvb. Also, the big bowl might have been used for bugs and/or worms, which, by the way, must be live, they cannot be dead or dried when feed to your dragon. Another thing, the mesh hammock has been known to hurt you beardie, he/she might accidentally get his/her toe caught in it and get injured while trying to tug it free. Other than that, congrats on your new beardie! They are amazing pets and have lots of personality! I hope that all goes well for you and your Coco! :D

Zachh86

Original Poster
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/starter-kits/zoo-medandtrade-reptihabitat-bearded-dragon-40-gallon-terrarium-kit-15027.html?cgid=500117
This is the starter kit I currently have. only things I changed are I have reptile carpet they sell which i'm, not a big fan of but it was the best choice and instead of the infrared bulb ( heard it was bad for their eyesight among other things) i got a moonlight blue bulb. but i do think i need to change bulbs cause the overall temp in the cage i think is too low. with the infrared gun i bought today the floor of the cage is around 80-85, his basking spot is around 100 so i need something to give off more radiant heat for the whole cage i suppose.

Is there a reason the can o worms is bad for him? he seems enjoy them quite a bit.. and thats too bad about the hammock:( he seems to enjoy it.

Where do you guys buy your supplies from?

rjaimz1

I feed phoenix worms they are really high in calcium, in fact they give them enough calcium to where you don't have to dust them with calcium powder. They also do not have a hard exoskeleton which eliminates the chance of impaction, they also are able to be plumped up by putting them in water, which gives the dragon hydration. The live feeders have the nutrients and water content the dragons need.They also have a natural instinct to hunt and live feeders provide that for them. you can also feed crickets, no bigger than the space between the eyes. remember to never leave any loose in the enclosure, they can bite the dragon. offer salad everyday even if he/she doesn't eat it.
Phoenix worms can be an expense reptiworms are less expensive. They are both the same, black solder fly larvae,
here is where i get them.

https://www.phoenixworm.com/
http://reptiworms.com/

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. For lighting you need a bright white basking light. I use halogen flood bulbs. For uvb you want a reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube. It can be put on top of the screen. The screen blocks a lot of the uvb. Amazon has it where you can buy the light and light fixture together. Cheaper then buying separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom