Another Newbie!! :) need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkriegerx

Hiya everyone! My name is Shayii and I have an almost 4 month old beardie (thinking a male) Linkin!! And we live in NC.

I do already have a question.. it will be several days before i can get a different thermometer/ hydro meter and the humidity is pretty high frOm the cheap one I currently have. I know that it’s more than likely a false reading, so until I can get a new one what should I do?
It gets pretty humid in the house due to only having a window air unit for now because our central air is not running yet.

I remove the water bowl because I read that on another post and I also read about a rice sock? How do I go about making one of those? How much rice? Just one?

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time. Linkin definitely thanks you as well because he looks at me like I’m crazy sometimes trying to get it right for him all he time.

rjaimz1

How are your basking temps? How long do you keep the basking light on? The basking light can dry out the tank and keep things at a good level if correct. Rice sock...ok take a sock or any piece of material..fill almost full of rice ..leave about an half to one inch on the end sew up the hole and your done!!!! Definitely a temporary fix.

rjaimz1

Martadragon017":2mffl2uw said:
About the rice sock you can also just tie a knot at the end instead if you don't have sewing materials.
Great Idea!! I have never even considered that...thank you! :D

xkriegerx

Original Poster
My temps are what I'm having a hard time getting to rise it seems. It ranges from 90-100 mostly. It occasionally drops below 90 when I turn everything off. I make sure to keep it on 12 hours a day. I'm using the rice sock.. 2 actually.. I'm going to get a new bulb which kind is preferable?
Also, would a Etekcity Lasergrip 774 be good for a digital thermometer and hydro meter? Or what is recommended?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might want to try a higher wattage bulb. I've had good luck using PAR38 halogen flood lights from the hardware store. The actual wattage needed will vary between setups so it may take some trial and error. The advantage of the halogen bulbs is that you can dim them easily if needed. I also like having the fixtures on adjustable lamp stands so they can be raised/lowered easily to adjust temperatures. I prefer a higher wattage bulb sitting further away to a lower wattage close up.

The temp gun you linked to is a decent one and should work well for you.

xkriegerx

Original Poster
I seen where the halogen light was recommended previously.. I’m going to look into getting one. The local Walmart stopped carrying them as far as I know. I only have the dome light will I need to purchase another one that I can place on a stand? He was doing this mouth thing earlier almost as if he was coughing. I took a video but wasn’t sure how to post on here.( I’m a worry wart anyway) but The humidity is in the 50’s.. and his temps are a Lil over 80 what’s taking the longest is my check to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom