Hello I'm new to all of this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaesu001

I just picked up 2 bearded dragons last night the are about 5 years old my son wanted one for his birthday that's why we got them but one has not been able to use his back legs for about a year. And I was told that they won't eat any fruit or vegetables just crickets is all they will eat. And only fed once a week. Any info would be great they don't seem to be in any pain they love being picked up and held seems healthy

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Wow poor guys! They should have a diet of 80% salads every day and feeders 20%. They should be housed separately. They each need a 40 gallon breeder tank. A good uvb light. A reptisun 10.0 t5. A good basking light. I use halogen flood bulbs. No heat or light source at night. The also need their feeders dusted with calcium 3 to 4x a week and multi vitamins. What kind of substrate are they on? The one that can't use his legs might be impacted or have MBD. Can you post a picture of them and their set up? Also sales should consist of collard greens, mustard greens, squashes stuff like that.

Yaesu001

Original Poster
The wife got them to eat some collard greens and carrots Apple it is a fine sand is the substrate 100 watt UVB compact fluorescent and the heater pad on the bottom of the tank I have a 48 inch T5 light set was for my Marine saltwater aquarium would that be any good I will take pictures of the sign up when I get home thanks for your replies and your help we would like to see these little guys healthy and happy as possible hopefully the one mobile again

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Definitely get rid of the sand. Sand if it's calcium will turn into concrete in their belly and intestines. Tile, paper towel, non adhesive shelf liner are way better and very easy to clean. The uvb you have is for tropical fish. Beardies need a good job for dessert animals. A reptisun 10.0 t5 is what you need. Also they need a bright white basking light. A temp gun is a good investment so you know what the temps are on the basking spot. The heat mat is not necessary.

LibbysMom

Hi! I'm new too. My daughter and I got here from a pet shop about 6 months ago. They're such sweet animals! Um I'm not totally sure on anything but going off our research, they should be eating daily and love salad. Maybe you got a weird one that just likes bugs? But daily usually 10 crickets a day is what our guy eats. I feel like maybe the old owners were misinformed about a couple things? Luckily they have you now! We are using this lizard carpet stuff that's easily washable, we do the whole terrarium and sanitize everything with reptile safe cleaner each month and switch the carpet. Other than that just pick up poop as it happens. I think its easier than sand sounds and also heard they can swallow sand and get hurt. But dont take me too seriously, we're trial and error stage...I could be totally wrong!

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Um I'm not totally sure on anything but going off our research, they should be eating daily and love salad. Maybe you got a weird one that just likes bugs?
From what I've heard, beardies actually usually prefer bugs to salads, but my Marta still likes her fresh yellow dandelion flowers as much as or maybe even more than her roaches! :D

Yaesu001

Original Poster
I got rid of the sand and put in paper towel for now they are eating there veggies vary well now so nice to see. I had given them both a bath tonight and the one that does not move its back had a lot of tell movement from side to side. Now I'll see about getting a new light for them this week

Yaesu001

Original Poster
99052-8047064831.jpg
This is the one with the back leg problems
I am going to get a new light for her this week
I have had them for almost a week now she seems to be getting a bit more color to her now

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The color improvement is encouraging. I'm not sure about the legs. I guess it depends on what caused them to stop working properly in the first place. Good lighting certainly won't hurt. If some movement is regained then perhaps water therapy or something similar would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom