Meet Bronx, the 6 month old beardie?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4rl4C

Greetings,

I'm here again to introduce Bronx, my new baby beardie. Supposedly he's 6 month old, but I think he's way too small to be 6 month old.

Story time: prior to adopt/rehome Tad Cooper (meet him here https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=241849 ) I was going to get Bronx in our local PetsCorner store and I saw him grow since February, felt in love with him and in the end I decided to get him either way. He has EVERYTHING he needs.

But I do have doubts about his age and let me explain why: at the store they gave me a birth certificate that says he was born at 23.10.17, making him 6 months, but I think he looks WAY too small and skinny for a 6 month old berdie according what I research.

So I have 3 theories:

1) The pet store lied about his birth and age.
2) The breeder lied about his birth and age.
3) That birth date is from when his egg was lay, making him now 3 month old and they didn't explain that to us, saying that he's 6 months old (I think this one is the correct).
4) We was not been fed properly at the store, they actually said to me that they would only feed him livefood 3 times a week, been once he only ate 1 large locustus and spend 4 days without bugs, and they even advise me NOT to feed him livefood for the next 3 days.

I found this WAY to sketchy because for my research, baby and juveniles need livefood everyday till they 1y old. I'm now giving him dusted livefood + salad daily with juvenile booster.

Oh! They also said that he was handled and tamed, which he's obviously not, and they thought it was a female, but could either be male. Bronx is male, I already confirmed it (we can clearly see the two bulges getting appart). So... yeah!

Here's some pictures of him and tell me what you think?! By the way, I can't keep the humidity below 50% at night, and I tried EVERYTHING :(

F437s0c.jpg

uqX8lEX.jpg

w63RFBF.jpg

I LOVE HIM SO MUCH <3 I already had 7 love bites :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks nice and healthy to me. His head isn't the rounded shape of a very young dragon so it's possible he is 6 months old and just growing at a slow pace (which is fine, they all grow at different rates) or as you said the lay date was recorded rather than the hatch date which I think would be unusual. Either way I'm glad he's found a good home with you! Don't worry about 50% humidity. That's well within the range of their natural habitat and shouldn't cause any issues. I don't usually worry about humidity at all unless the room feels really humid to me.

C4rl4C

Original Poster
Oh really?! I thought that 6 months old were bigger and fatter, at least it looks like from some videos/pictures I saw online. I get way to concern with my babies. I have a full mature adult beardie, but I got him already adult, so I'm sorry for my ignorance.

But even if he's 6 month old, giving him livefood once in a while doesn't seem right. I think! At least what I read online for many sources, it says they eat livefood daily.

The room they're in doesn't feel damp or humid, and their vivs fells dry, so I dunno whyt the humidity gets high, sometimes (rarely) it gets 55% even with the dehumidifier on. I added more vents to Tad's viv and probably I need to do the same on Bronx's viv.

Thank you so much for your help :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They usually are a bit bigger but that's not a blanket thing. Some of them get growth spurts later on like people do. The more important thing is that his arm/leg muscles are well developed and he looks well proportioned which usually means healthy and it looks like that's the case. I would keep a log of his weight so you can track his progress against his own history but I wouldn't put too much stock into comparing him directly to other dragons in terms of size or growth rate. It's possible he is younger than advertised though. Either way he should be getting a couple of bug meals per day and a daily salad at that age/size until his growth slows down at around 12-18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom