New Bearded Dragon Owner With Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venomman1234

Hello all, I’m a new bearded dragon owner :) I’ve had them for a month now and they are about 9-10” long so I’m guessing they are roughly 3-4 months of age. They seem to be doing pretty well, they eat about 25 large crickets a day combined along with a baby greens salad mix from Walmart. I have a couple important questions I’d like answered if you all could be so kind to answer for me as I want the best for them :)

I currently have them in the same 55 gallon tank, I’ve heard conflicting stories on whether we should keep them in the same tank or not, they haven’t really fought except for on time I saw the female go for one of his feet but that’s been the only time. Should I upgrade them to their own seperate tanks for sure?

When I purchased them both of them were pretty dark in color, I’m assuming normal morph coloring, but as time is going on I’m noticing the male is getting a little lighter in color and is starting to develop orange streaks next to his ear openings or the little hole openings (I’m assuming it’s their ears) is this normal? What could cause this slow but gradual color change?

I have a mesh not metal lid for the tank and upon reading on this forum, the mesh is actually causing barely any of the UVB light to penetrate through the tank is this correct? I have a regular twisty bulb not a uvb light strip that goes across the tank and I’ve read that’s what I actually want to invest in is this correct? If we need a strip light how would we include this into the tank and what kind of lid should I buy then or should I try to custom make one with openings for lights? We currently are using a 150 watt heat bulb, a second 60 watt heat bulb, along with the uvb. All this combined still barely gets the tank to 95 degrees maybe closer to 100 on a hot day outside is this warm enough for them? It’s about 76-78 on the cool side

Their also laying on top of each other occasionally while other times they are on seperate sides of the tank. Is this a sign of dominance? They also seem to want to be as close to the lid/lights as possible. Could this be caused by a uvb lighting deficiency? They lay on the tank hammock a lot and the female seems to like hanging on the fake plant I have on the side of the tank.

We also always dust the crickets with a calcium/other vitamin mixture before putting them in the tank, if you guys think of any other helpful tips I’d love to hear them. I really do want the best for them

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. They need to have their own tanks. Her trying to bihe his foot will only get worse. She will eventually attack him and he will end up with no foot of leg even death. Yes you need to get a reptisun 10.0 t5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom