New Rescue. LONG STORY with pics, but worth the read I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
A little about me. I am a long time lover of reptiles, and have raised and kept mostly Iguanas for many years. My last big guy passed away about 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 16. After him I never got another mainly just because life got in the way and I didn't have the time to dedicate to them. My son who is now 16 has been talking about wanting to get a beardie for about 2 years now, and we have discussed it several times and even cleared out an area of his bedroom to build an enclosure but never got around to it once I started my business.

Two weeks ago he came to me with a picture on his phone, He said dad look what my buddy just found in his yard. Mind you we live in the mountains of West Virginia, it was Easter Sunday, and we had just received 4 inches of snow the night before and the temperatures were in the upper 20's. I take a look at his phone and this is what I see
98650-6384662399.jpg
.He said dad can we go get it, My buddy said his mom wont let him keep it because she don't like lizards. Can you believe the nerve of some people, How do you not like lizards?!! Of course I said absolutely we can go get it.

I sent him with his mom to go get the poor little guy/or gal, while I went out to the shed and dug out an old 55 gallon aquarium that I had stored away in there, (i always keep a spare tank or 2 on hand, I always seem to need them for something) While in there I found a uvb 10.0 tube in a fixture that I had bought a week before my last Iguana passed and I had a 125 watt heat lamp stored away too. (I swear I'm not a hoarder.) and I grabbed up a roll of astro turf that I had stored away and got busy getting the tank ready while they were out.

When they arrived with her she was really cold and very lethargic so I checked her over for all the signs of external parasites and looked over her limbs for signs of MBD, all of that checked out. I then looked at her left eye, and the poor girl (I checked the sex too) couldn't even open her eye and her lip had a nice little sore on it, not mouth rot but just a little scab. And the nape of her neck looked to have some scaring on it, possibly from getting burned on a heat lamp that was too close to her, her left rear foot is missing several toes, and her right front foot had a broken toe that I was sure was gonna fall off, (and did) and more than half her tail is missing. I told my son, well, aside from her being really cold and emaciated I think we can get her back to good health, but be prepared that we may not be able to do anything but make her comfortable for her last hours of life. He agreed at this point that our main objective was to do what we could for her to make her comfortable and try our best to save the poor girl. We soothed her and warmed her gradually with our body temperature and got her to come back down to a somewhat normal color and got her breathing slowed back down to a more normal pace, and gave her a nice warm bath in electrolytes and put her in the aquarium under her lights. I had a bag of salad mix in the fridge (mostly iceberg lettuce and carrots, but my main objective at the time was to get her re hydrated and by this time the stores were all closed so I couldnt get her anything else until morning.) so I chopped it up really fine and placed it in there with her, She kinda licked on it a little but was just too weak to eat anything.

The next morning she woke up and slowly moved about the aquarium a couple times. I ran to pet supplies plus and picked up some crickets and calcium powder and then to wally world to get some pedialyte, green and peppers, because I always had luck getting hungry iguanas to eat peppers if the wouldn't eat anything else. I was able to get her to drink about 8 tbsp of pedialyte from a syringe and she took about 4 cricket from my hand. I placed a warm wash cloth on her left eye that had some diluted betadine on it, after about 10 minutes she was able to open her eye again, at which time she came alive, she began eating and became more active. Two days later she had her first poop, it was terrible nothing but brownish green liquid, then another, a little more solid but had chunks of undigested food in it, I gave her 3 tablespoons of yogurt with probiotics to get her gun fauna moving right again and she has had nothing but healthy solid formed poops and urates since.

Now she is happy, very active and is eating about 20 crickets a day and 2 full plates of salad (colored greens, Mustard greens, dandelion greens, sweet peppers and butternut squash.) She has 2 healthy poops a day, like clockwork at 10:30am and 3pm every day. Her color is great, she is getting splashes of orange around her eyes and on her beard, and her eyelids are a yellowish color, her right eye is nice and bright with her little lashes, But her left eye lid is still discolored but is slowly coloring back up, however as of right now she has no lashes on that lid. but her actual eye seems to be working normally, no loss of vision that I can tell and it is good and clear. I can not make out any distinctive markings she is pretty much monotone with some darker specks. She is still a little skiddish, but once you get her settled she loves laying on your chest and sleeping.

Be aware in the pictures that she is only in this tank temporarily because we are currently building her new enclosure in my sons room and this was just an observation tank so that we could care for her and monitor her more easily. Also nevermind all the greens in the bottom of the tank, she just ate and is a very sloppy eater, If I take her to the sizzler we will all need a bib.

And without further adieu 2 weeks later I give you a much happier healthier and more active Leia, Princess of Alderan. (we are star wars geeks). May the force be with you!

98650-3624791978.jpg
98650-8368373355.jpg
98650-5407475159.jpg
98650-1132959645.jpg

jrichmond120

Original Poster
Thank you, She has made a quick recovery, Im really surprised at what a couple of weeks has done for her. The iguanas I used to care for took months at times to bounce back if they did at all. I dont think that her previous owners took very good care of her, they probably didn't know how and I am just happy that we had the opportunity to give her a better life.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Oh, Princess Leia, what an amazing survivor you are!

I am honestly suprised she survived...she looked like she was barely hanging onto her life, in the first photo...but you did all the right things, and she must be a little fighter. What a miracle. ?

And how can anyone not love lizards, right?? But I would not have believed they could be so sweet and responsive, until I got to know my DeziLu.

It is so nice to read about the good stories. I do not know what to say about owners who realease unwanted pets into the wild, and could not say it in public, if I did. Lets hope it was not a voluntary release, but an accident. Keep vigilant for any signs of repiratory infection. Those can take up to two weeks to incubate from time of exposure, but I suspect you are in the clear now. That is truly an amazing survival story! I offer my personal gratitude, for what you and your son did for Miss L. And thanks for sharing it! Good luck!

Dezi says, good job, o servant of lizards.
82765-8363464977.jpg

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thank you!
Dezi is three and a half years, a big strong boy--fully 24" and still growing! Very affecionate and loves snuggles, hugs, any time spent with me. He walks on or off leash, is potty trained, watches TV (football is his fave) and is a wonderful companion! He goes with us everywhere, and our vacations are planned with him as well. I love beardies. They are so much more emotional, intelligent and expressive than I would have believed any reptile could be, before I got to know one. Now, I cant imagine life without him! I hope your new girl will give you many years of joy and companionship. They are remarkable creatures, and you have done a wonderful rescue for her!

I have wanted to ask someone who has experience with iguanas, how do they compare to beardies? Are they as intelligent and responsive as Beardies? I saw one in a pet shop that was given up by his owner because he had out grown their space. He was not too happy in his new place, and clearly needed more space and freedom to move about. He was huge! Maybe four feet long, or more, and big all over. Just beautiful. The clerk was scared of him, and he (the iguana) was not getting any personal quality time. I wanted to rescue him, but honestly could not even lift him, or have enough space to dedicate an entire room to him, as he needed. Hopefully, someone will take him who can provide for his needs.

I love the photo of miss Leia on the all black background--her big smile is beautiful. It is the look of a lizard that is happy and knows she is loved. In
her first photo, when you first rescued her, she looked so awful, I nearly cried. How is the princess, today?

Dezi giving some good lizard love...
82765-2519755811.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I'm amazed how that's the same beardie!!!! Are you sure it's the same one? :D :blob5: To be honest this story made me teary eyed (LVjewel you're not the only one). :)

I Agree.. Who couldn't love lizards!! They are one of the most awesome animals ever! :blob5:

She actually looks a LOT like my girl Daisy.. Maybe you found her sister! :D View media item 61022 This was her on Easter Sunday View media item 60923 Very similar patterning and she also has the little red feet! :)

Keep up the good work and may the force be with you and Leia (I'm also a star wars geek :mrgreen: )!

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
dezismom":1jxreii7 said:
I love the photo of miss Leia on the all black background--her big smile is beautiful. It is the look of a lizard that is happy and knows she is loved. In
her first photo, when you first rescued her, she looked so awful, I nearly cried. How is the princess, today
I Agree with what Dezismom said.. I felt so sad when I saw that first picture and was amazed that she got much better in just two weeks!!

jrichmond120

Original Poster
dezismom":y7enaesu said:
I have wanted to ask someone who has experience with iguanas, how do they compare to beardies? Are they as intelligent and responsive as Beardies? I saw one in a pet shop that was given up by his owner because he had out grown their space. He was not too happy in his new place, and clearly needed more space and freedom to move about. He was huge! Maybe four feet long, or more, and big all over. Just beautiful. The clerk was scared of him, and he (the iguana) was not getting any personal quality time. I wanted to rescue him, but honestly could not even lift him, or have enough space to dedicate an entire room to him, as he needed. Hopefully, someone will take him who can provide for his needs.
Sorry I assumed Dezi's gender, Let him know I apologize for that.

As far as Iguanas go, they are really similar to Beardies yet really different at the same time. Yes they are very smart and can be really affectionate, They require much the same care just no live food, they should only ever have salad, which is the same as the salad you feed Dezi. The major differences I have noticed is that they do tend to go off food and become anorexic a lot easier, and when they do It is really hard to get them to eat good again, and they are not as prone to obesity as beardies are. They do require a lot more space and lots of climbing room, they love to be up high. They need a lot of human interaction to be a good pet, and during the first few months of acclimating they do like to bite so get a good leather glove and if they are small let them get a bite or two to show them that its pointless, I wouldn't recommend this for a big male because they can bite through a glove and can take a finger flat off. Once they get past this and get used to being handled and get used to its people they start to gain trust and all that goes away and they becoming very loving. The major thing you have to watch for especially in big strong males is aggression during mating season, they can get quite violent toward any male creature in the house be it human or non human, and they can be quite demanding of females in the house, human or non human. Good husbandry is the key with them during this time. If you have one that has had a lot of human interaction they are less likely to go through the aggressive stage but can be a bit unpredictable during this time. a good example of this I had one that was really calm and would act like a puppy most all of the time. He would jump into my lap and lay there and do tricks for snacks, usually grapes or apple slices, but when he would go into season, he would act like he didn't know me and would head bob every time he seen me and sometimes charge at me with his tail if he thought I was getting to close. however when he seen my wife he would display his dewlap and do a fast head "chatter" and color up really bright, and would display his sex organs to her. After about a week of this he was back to the loving little puppy we had before. He was normally a free roaming iguana as long as we were home, and we caged him when we were gone, and would go to his cage by command. We found that it was just better for him and us to keep him in his enclosure until his season was finished and we would place a lizard stuffed animal in with him, it really seamed to help him get some of his aggression out and would calm him. We would feed and water him daily and just wait it out basically. Females are usually less aggressive. They love to cuddle up and watch the family. However they don't get quite as large and are not as attractive.The biggest problem with them is that you must create them a nesting site when you notice them getting eggs or they will become egg bound really easily. And they do not like the dry arid atmosphere that beardies prefer, They love a humid environment and need it to be able to shed good, We kept a cool mist humidifier in his enclosure and he had a pond area in it too with a waterfall which he loved, it was a pain in the butt to clean every other day, but he loved it and would go swimming 2 or 3 times a day and would put his head under the waterfall area and sit there forever lol. But they are awesome creatures, and I plan to get another as soon as our remodel is completed. I wish i had pictures of him to show you but they were all on an old computer that I had that crashed and I was unable to recover any of the files from it.

jrichmond120

Original Poster
HippieLizards":3ovb0kkj said:
I'm amazed how that's the same beardie!!!! Are you sure it's the same one? :D :blob5: To be honest this story made me teary eyed (LVjewel you're not the only one). :)

She actually looks a LOT like my girl Daisy.. Maybe you found her sister! :D Very similar patterning and she also has the little red feet! :)

Keep up the good work and may the force be with you and Leia (I'm also a star wars geek :mrgreen: )!

-HippieLizards.

Yes, I promise she is the same lizard, And I am very amazed at her recovery myself. And I agree they do look a lot alike maybe they are sisters lol. I love the little red feet. :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
The little red feet were from a horrible cali-sand staining because she used to be on calci-sand before we got her and her legs, feet, tail, and belly were completely red from sand. :x After a lot of baths and a whole lot of scrubbing she's less red now. Now she just has little pink feet Lol. :) View media item 60572 I Also think that these two might be related.. But It's not as similar as your beardie (This was Daisy on the left and Loki on the right).

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thank you for the great info about iguanas! They fascinate me, but perhaps are not for me...I am not afraid of animals that will bite. I worked many years at wildlife sanctuaries, resuce, and a zoo, and learned to watch carefully for signs, and react in a way that prevented injury to either myself or the animal. I did get bites a few times, as anyone working with wild animals does, no matter how experienced, and knew not to pull away too quickly, or move until he released, then calmly replace in cage and not make a big deal out of it. This was out of concern for the animal, more than for myself.

However, I live in a very dry climate, and an iguana would not be comfortable, without a whole lot of room misters, etc., also I am just five feet tall and under 100 lbs., and not as strong as I once was. I know a big male like I saw would be too much a handful for me if he got excited. And I love animals too much to get a young one knowing I will have to upset us both by rehoming him when he got too big. But they are super cool animals. Your iguana sounds like he was quite the randy guy! He even dispayed to your wife?! Ha, ha! Dezi went through a randy period during the weeks he was reaching puberty, (this is usually around six months for males) and made "special friends" with a stuffed dog toy, but never was interested in a human in that way. It was rather amusing. I took some photos, if you want to see him with his toy...it is not hard to guess what he is up to. There are others who have said their Beardies did the same with stuffies. He was also challenging peoples shoes, running across the room then stopping, and bumping them with his nose. Guests thought he was greeting them, and they thought it was cute, so I did not inform them he was being less than nice...After he "befriended" the stuffy, he seemed much more calm and happy. I even put it in his viv, so he could have it available when he was not free roaming. What we will do, for our little "masters"!...

sorry you lost your photos, I had same thing happen with one of my old computers, and it was such a bummer. I send everything to the cloud to be backed up, now...

Hippielizards, I love the bunny costume on your beardie. Too cute!! Even a little bunny tail...:):)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Lol, Thor and Loki would try to mate with shoes. Loki would attack my flip flops and he would try to mate with it. This was a video I found and the way the beardie was acting in the first few seconds was almost just like Loki did to my poor shoes Lol. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj2iKn_29vaAhWHtlMKHVQODTIQtwIIJzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-tV8pNnfRio&usg=AOvVaw0RcR--TeSgFaKfJDiFfgMR

and Thank you! :D I Made them out of pipe cleaners and Daisy was the only one who seemed to enjoy wearing them.. Thor and the others just tried to eat it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom