Hello from Tad Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4rl4C

Hello,

My fiance and I rehomed an adult beardie (age unknown) in March and I super love him.
I named him Tad Cooper, I know it's cheesy but not only I like the name but it's one of our favourite TV Shows (Galavant).

I always wanted a reptile and when I saw a baby beardie about 2y ago I always wanted one, but the fiancé didn't like the idea. After months asking for one and months without asking, I finally had the opportunity to adopt one.

We made our research before getting one and we prepared everything, while on the exotic pet store to get a baby, the staff introduced us to an adult beardie that was left there by his previous owner that couldn't take care of him anymore. So I decided to give this fellow a bigger and loving home. His best friend is our male cat Cayde (we always supervisor them and the cat doesn't play with him, he just stalks him, gives him head bumps and lays down beside him when Tad is sunbathing).

And all of us couldn't be happier. We love him so much and it's being a wonderful experience.

We also have an Albino Corn Snake and two cats. Probably will adopt a baby beardie in November, I want to experience raising a baby beardie and love him/her like I love my Tad Cooper & Family.

Here's some pic of him.

3F5prPo.jpg

6B0bHTF.jpg

dCNZ6SS.jpg

3IiGzpx.jpg

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Everything looks great and great lady yku are enjoying Tad. If you need any help feel free to ask.

C4rl4C

Original Poster
QuinnF":25ht9qbu said:
Everything looks great and great lady yku are enjoying Tad. If you need any help feel free to ask.

Thank you so much! We're very happy with him, and we also feel lots of love from him.

Our only concern is that he's not eating his salads, and when he eats salads, it's only Squash and Dandelion leaves I pick from the garden (I wash them first). He used to eat Salad well, but now it's a nightmare! I already tried different veggies and greens, and all the tricks I could find.

Now lifefood it's a different story, those he eats just fine. I think I may giving him too much livefood (dubias, superworms, fruit beetles as treats and locust).

We also eats fruits well, like apple, banana, blueberries, raisins etc...but I only give fruits 1x month. Apple I give him 1x a week because he doesn't like mango nor peach.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
I have the same problem with mine but as long as he is still healthy I wouldn’t worry to much. He is probably getting what he needs. If you are worried tho you could try to not feed him his insects for a while. I feed mine insects on Tuesday and Saturday and the rest of the week he only gets veggies

C4rl4C

Original Poster
He does look healthy and happy. In fact, he actually looks healthier and happier since we brought him home. That orange colour around his eyes, face and beard was not there before we got him, so I guess it's a good sign.

He eats his livefood 2x a week, random days: I count 3 days after feeding and on the third day it's "bug day", I will try not to feed him the second time to see if he eats his salads. Thank you so much for your support <3

dezismom

Juvie Member
Welcome to the forum! Tad Cooper looks like healthy, happy beardie! Nice set up, too. Many beardies do not like salads, until around a year old, when their active growth slows. As long as they are growing and shedding often, they should have live protien daily, and special attention paid to loghts, heat, UVB, calcium supplements, in order to avoid the dreaded MBD--metabolic bone disease. you will find much info on this site about diet and the need for UVB lights, etc.

It is hard to say, but my guess is that Tad (love his name) is a younger adult, and still growing, so he simply prefers his protien. They are good about knowing what they need. Most will slow their growth at around a year, but each one is a bit different--DeziLu is over three years and still growing! (But he is not the usual; at 24" he is much bigger than most and it is uncommon for them to keep growing actively for three years.) So, keep offering daily salads, but do not be afraid to give as much protien as Tad desires.

So glad you have Tad! They are remarkable creatures!

Dezi says, welcome to the wonderful world of Beardies...
82765-4234322105.jpg

C4rl4C

Original Poster
Thank you Dear Dezimom and sorry the delay.

I don't think my beardie is young, they didn't tell me his age, but he looks a mature adult. But who knows! Thank you so much for your feedback :D Also I have everything I need and to offer for him not to get MBD, and hopefully never to get sick.

Well, yeah! Animals, even pets, know what they need or what not. He eats some veggies but not greens. When he was on the pet store being housed, he would eat his salads, I guess it's because they would not feed them livefood as much and know he eats more livefood, and Tad knows that, so I think he waits :lol:

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and Dezi is GORGEOUS :shock:

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thank you! Dezi agrees :):)
He is very sure of his overwhelming beauty, ha, ha! I call it the "lizard who knows he is loved" look. It seems to be universal to well cared for, well loved beardies...

Your beardie may easily be a full, mature adult. I have often underestimated age, due to my only boy being over sized...I have read that German Giants can grow "up to two feet long", and Dezi is no GG, but he is already two feet and still shedding and growing regularly. At three years, he should have slowed down considerably, by now. I am beginning to suspect some genetic giantism, with him...As long as he is healthy and happy, I am happy, too! His $75+ weekly live food bill is a bit tough, but he is worth every cent. We make a bit of a scene in the store, with his head on my shoulder and his tail at my knees. (I am only five feet, 95 lbs) People who know or own beardies often say they cant believe he is a beardy, because theirs is 12-15 inches long and fully grown. I have also had people say they thought he was a fake, until he turned his head, because he sits so still and relaxed! Why would I run around with a big, rubber lizard on my shoulder? ☺️☺️

Keep us updated about Tad Cooper, we do enjoy watching them progress...

Dezi says, I am not a fake lizard!
82765-6281166603.jpg

dezismom

Juvie Member
okay...here is DeziLu, the 2 ft long Beardie, on his 5ft tall mom...we go everywhere together. My hubby calls my "familiar". We are so alike, in coloring, personality, everything. We both like basking in the sun, on the porch. We are picky eaters. He is not a morning person, either. It takes us an hour just to know where we are. (and coffee, for me) He is my "mini me"!

82765-3806792987.jpg

here he is in front of a napkin, waiting for a little afternoon snack.
who couldnt love this face?
82765-702137584.jpg

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Beautiful beardie so big! What size tank can Dezi even FIT in? Feel free to post pictures of Dezi anytime he makes me smile ??

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thank you, QuinnF!!?
He makes me smile,too!

Dezi has a 40 gal. reptile viv, just for night sleeping and some day basking. It is not big enough to stay in all day, of course, but he is most often out, on me, or roaming in the lizard proofed parts of the house. We have set up several areas with lamps for heat and UVB, and when he decides to hang out in a certain area, I move the lamps to suit him. (can we say "spoiled boy?") I am not sure what size viv he would need to live in....he can turn around in the 40gal, but it is a crowded turn. My deam viv for him would be to enclose an entire side of our TV room, floor to ceiling, But that would be $$$, and since he can roam there freely (always under my supervision of course) it seems an uneeded expense.
He also loves long trips in our RV, where he gets to free roam. He has ramps and perches set up there (with UVB and heat lamps) for him to look out windows as we travel.
....Dezi is a happy boy.

on a perch in RV, looking out over the world
82765-1469265386.jpg

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Have you ever tried breeding dubia roaches? Idk how exactly but I’ve heard it’s pretty easy and with a $75 per week bill it might save you some money

dezismom

Juvie Member
QuinnF,
i have heard of those, but would have to overcome my innate fear of roaches. I am not squemish about most insects, but being raised in the south, I developed a serious fear of roaches...but even large crickets are not even a tiny snack, for Dezi, and I am working my courage up to ordering some of the dubia, which I think are a bit different than those monsters down south? maybe if I order some, and get used to them... Seeing Dezi gobble them up would help motivate me, I bet! At this point, Just the thought of a roach in my house gives me the heebee jeebees! yikes! It makes no logical sense, but some fears (in fact, many) are not logical....

Meanwhile, Dezi continues to grow. He is starting a new shed, only two weeks after his last big shed. I read that Beardies usually reach full size and slow down growth considerably, after their first year. That has not been the case with Dezi. He has shown no slowing down, and sheds frequently, even though he is well past his third birthday...I wonder if this is normal? Maybe I should consult some of the forum members who have more experience with Beadies than I do.

Hey, C4f14c,
How is Tad Cooper, today?

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Yeah ik some people don’t like roaches but they can get bigger then crickets and are easier to feed and breed. Lol we kinda did take over this thread. Hope Tad is doing good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom