Hello! New and open to advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanaJo

Hey there! :)

My name is Alana. I just bought my first bearded dragon on Sunday (4/15/18). Judging by his size (4 inches long from head to tail) I assume he is about a month old. I say "he" although I do not know the sex of my beardie. I have named him Norbert after the dragon given to Hagrid, the grounds keeper in Harry Potter. I thought this was fitting as Hagrid later finds out that his Norbert is a female and I won't find out the gender of my dragon for a while. :lol:

The first thing I did after purchasing my dragon and a few necessities was order a new basking light and Reptisun 10.0 UVB mini compact flourescent light (13 watts). I currently have a regular light bulb in my Zoo Med mini combo deep dome dual lamp fixture. However, if I turn on one light then it is just a little bit too cool for my Norbert and if I turn on both lights then it gets a little too hot. Therefore, I have been monitoring the temperature by turning one of the lights off and on periodically to try to maintain 105-110 degree temperatures. When I went to work yesterday I left just one light on assuming that it would be better to be just a bit too cold than for it to get too hot. Any suggestions on temporarily finding the best way to maintain 105-110 while out of the house and without my new bulbs would be appreciated!

I have been reading through some of the forums and attempting to do more research on beardies. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, as I would like the best possible life for my bearded dragon! Thanks! :)

-Alana

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Welcome to beardie slavery :D You definitely need a better uvb. Those coil/compact don't produce enough uvb. I would replace it with a reptisun 10.0 55 tube. Also how big is the enclosure!? If you are using a stick on thermometer you need a more accurate way to take temps. A temp gun or a digital with a wide probe.

AlanaJo

Original Poster
destiny1998":hpqtjdxx said:
Hi. Welcome to beardie slavery :D You definitely need a better uvb. Those coil/compact don't produce enough uvb. I would replace it with a reptisun 10.0 55 tube. Also how big is the enclosure!? If you are using a stick on thermometer you need a more accurate way to take temps. A temp gun or a digital with a wide probe.

Thank you! I have read that a Reptisun 10.0 tube is better than the coil/compact due to the UVB that it puts out and I plan to purchase it asap. I only have a 10 gallon tank at the moment but I am working on finding a larger enclosure as I know that Norbert will outgrow that quickly. I have a stick on thermometer currently but I plan on buying either a temp gun or a digital thermometer.

Originally, I had no intentions of actually coming home with a pet otherwise I would have been more prepared in advance! All of my research thus far has told me that basically everything I was sent home with for my beardie is pretty much the wrong materials. (Sand, colored lights, stick on thermometer, no UVB lights, etc) I find this very disappointing, not just because I have to spend quite a bit of extra money but mostly because I can't help but wonder how many beardies are going to homes that don't research the proper equipment/needs for their dragon. :( Luckily for me I did do some research that prompted me to make some immediate changes the day I got him home.

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your advice!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Sounds like you have it under control :D Good luck and you should post a picture of your baby some time :D

AlanaJo

Original Poster
98482-5410630531.jpg

This is my Norbert the day I brought him home! I believe the picture is sideways so I apologize for that! I have since read that sand is bad for juvenile dragons so that is one of the many changes I've made so far. From head to tail he is about 4 inches long. However, I bought him with a tail nip and it appeared that the last half of his tail was dead. You cannot see this in the picture but I assume that he will end up losing that part of his tail. We have a vet appointment tomorrow to address this...I hope that the appointment doesn't stress him out too much but I didn't want to risk infection or him getting hurt any further!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom