Introduction an advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdodd9483

Good morning everyone!!

(Background)
My names Chris an ive lurked here on the boards a few weeks reading, learning an educating myself. I reside in Chesterfield Mi and it is currently a brisk 39 degree with a 94% humidity. I’m 34 years old father of 3 (2x boys and 1 princess) I work for d.o.d an that’s about all the info I can give on the job.

(Bearde)
My two boys asked me one day for a pet snake. I votoed that right of the bat. But, offered for a bearded dragon. So the wife took them to the pet store. They interacted with the bearded dragon quite well. I wanted to make sure before I invested a crap ton of money. This is a living animal an If someone was purchasing me I would want proper care. So last night The wife and I went to the pet store. While there we noticed 2x beardies separate from the others with a price mark down. An we ask what was the issue.

1x the red hypo citrus silkie had a piece of the tail missing and some nails on the back foot.

1x the leather back had missing nails on back foot.

Upon hearing this and some of the horror stories I’ve read of what breeders do to defective/deformed beardies (no confirmed truth) my heart poured out on the inside. While my wife god bless her poured her heart out literally with tears. She asked to hold the silkie an I knew it was over. While holding the silkie other customers came in looking at the other. Hearing oh it’s defective, ewwww it’s missing a toe, an than I got set off by a adult emo punk. Stating an I quote “ That thing has missing toes the breeder should’ve put it down with a shoe and used it for food”. I tolerate 0 bullying to handicapped. I told him well the lizard here missing a toe agrees with me when I say “your father should’ve left you in a tissue”. Now as a adult I should’ve just kept my mouth shut I agree but, I never realized how cruel and inconsiderate some humans can be. Que His girlfriend approaching now she clearly heard what I said. He explains to her b.f “perhaps that’s all they can afford is the discounted deformed retarded ones”. At that point I seen the ignorance was strong an got myself into trouble. I looked at the sales associate an I said price out both lizards, the habitat they need to be the happiest they can be. Now include my lights, bulbs, grass terrain cause I’m concerned with impaction at so young, basking rock etc. She told me well the kit is 300. For a setup but, you’ll need to upgrade later. Nope, I don’t like upgrading I want the forever home. So I got them a 90 gal with all the bells and whistles. Someone got real quite.

Now for my troubles

1. I was told since they were babies I could keep both in the same habitat since they’ve been together so long. I’ve read this is false ( any light to be shed on this)

2. I was fairly educated here on beardies but, hadn’t read to much on the silkie part. So reading I see they get injuries real easy, sick real easy, and shouldn’t bread if it’s a female ( I won’t bread it just because of the way a male bites the head) different lighting needed etc ( any experience with this truth)

All sales are final at the pet store and I really don’t want to return them anyways. I would go through a lot of stress if something bad were to happen to either. So that being said I need to know what I have to do to make there lives comfortable. I’ve already spent close to a grand on the initial setup an I’m not shy to go a little deeper if need be. So please don’t be gentle with the truth of expense. I wouldn’t of bought them if I could not provide them a good life. It’s a added family member to us. We greatly appreciate any insight to our situation.

Sincerely,

Chris

P.s how are pics added?

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You can upload pictures with this link. I do it on my iPhone. Just make a post & then hit XIMG.
Sounds like your 2 dragons will be well taken care of.
Most people say to keep them in separate tanks, you could put a divider in the middle to keep them apart. Usually one will dominate the other one, nipping at toes or even attacking the other one. Might be a good idea to put a divider in until you decide for separate homes. They is a lot of great info on this site, as well as some DIY info for turning furniture into a beautiful forever home. I wish I was handy in doing that. Have fun with your new dragons & learn as much as possible on this site. Don’t be afraid to ask questions & post lots of pictures. Everyone loves looking at the babies since they grow so fast.
83443-1501880791.jpg

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list

Tangy505

They are so cute, how could anyone say such horrible things about them! Have you been able to sex them yet? Or name them? I'd love to see more of them

Cdodd9483

Original Poster
Silkie is my 5 year olds named charizard

The leather back is my 4 year olds named bumblebee (from transformers)

I have a hypo het blood red named hades

Wife has a hypo leatherback blood red named aurora

(At least the shop labeled them as blood red from the breeder)

It seems like a Italian red beardie

Sex them no not yet for sure. Pet store said mine was male and wife’s was female not sure about the other 2. If interested I’ll post pics of hades and aurora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom