Hi! New Beardie owner- so lost need help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoTaco

Hi- I’m so glad I’ve found this forum. I have a few questions! I would appreciate any help, advice, feedback. Rocco is going on 3 1/2 to 4 months old. He has two bumps on either side of the lower belly( above the gap, not under the tail) We are trying to decide if Rocco is male or female. His stomach however is very very round and flat. Much bigger than his body ! All Rocco eats is crickets and only large meal worms- very picky. Lol. my concern is am I over feeding him? Or her? How soon can I take Rocco out in public? Is it possible to buy a beardie from a pet store that has already interacted with the opposite sex....at what point does a female carry eggs? I know this is a lot of questions! We love him or her so much and have a following in love with this precious reptile! Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing others who have much more experience. :) Kimberly

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Cut back on the mealworms, they are a but hard to digest. It's not likely that a dragon from the pet store could have made sexual interactions with other dragons since the dragons are either sold at a baby or juvenile stage or die. While I think it is possible, most baby and juvenile dragons need and use the extra protein so they don't usually end up being chubby or anything like that. The 10-15 minute feeding session three times a day rule is usually just fine for baby dragons.

RoccoTaco

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":3eqpduvu said:
Cut back on the mealworms, they are a but hard to digest. It's not likely that a dragon from the pet store could have made sexual interactions with other dragons since the dragons are either sold at a baby or juvenile stage or die. While I think it is possible, most baby and juvenile dragons need and use the extra protein so they don't usually end up being chubby or anything like that. The 10-15 minute feeding session three times a day rule is usually just fine for baby dragons.

Thanks so much, KeyBlu! We are now doing the three times a day rule and have cut back on the mealworms - although she is not amused LOL!

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Try to feed her some veggies too. Once or twice a week should be fine. Make sure she has plenty of calcium as well. You can take her out in public as soon as she is calm enough for you. Just make sure she stays warm.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
QuinnF":1ezhf04i said:
Try to feed her some veggies too. Once or twice a week should be fine. Make sure she has plenty of calcium as well. You can take her out in public as soon as she is calm enough for you. Just make sure she stays warm.

Yeah, I agree with offering it but it's not a problem if he doesn't accept it. At his age, he needs all the protein he can get and veggies would really be a bonus. In regards to handling, I think one should weigh their options. There is always the chance of getting spooked or bored and running off. When my beardy was younger, I handled him when he was just a few inches and guess what, he jumped off my hand under the table, it was hard to get him out and gave me a fright! Fortunately, I got him out. Then I stopped handling him until he got around the length he is now and he is handled just fine(though he accidentally bites when hand feeding).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom