A big hello from Jonathan and Hakuna!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuJohn321

Well hello everyone, my name is jonathan a new beardie owner. Ive been using this site to get my information about my new dragon. But I've decided to make an account and get into the community. Now this is Hakuna well the day i got him or her, the reptile store said he was a week old and this was feb 13 2018 came i bought the package that came with everything.
ZMUtp9z.jpg
fXXGDQU.jpg
pSEpvUJ.jpg

Hakuna has a very funny personality. And is so so so so cute. The other night for the first time he snuggled with me and oh my gosh he/she owns me now
YLlS7mJ.jpg

Ive been buying things here and there seeing what he likes and the most recent were his long piece of wood and his hammock he is just oh so cute. This was This morning
ih4pDzD.jpg

Having Hakuna has been an amazing experience so far
Anyways i thought it would be nice to introduce myself to everyone and say hello to the community! Have a great day!!

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Wow he is small & cute. Be careful with the mesh hammock, they can get their nails caught & sprain or break their arms & legs. You may want to cover it up with a little piece of fleece blanket, maybe even lower it.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Welcome, Jonathan and Hakuna!
This is a great site to join, with plenty of Beardie lovers who can help with advise, share photos, or just talk beardie...
Hakuna is a cutie! I notice he is already showing some leg, in a flirty position we call Sexy leg!" ha, ha! And snuggling...yeah, he owns you. Be prepared to be the willing slave of a dragon prince for the next decade, or more..I have been one for over three years, and still love it. Cannot imagine my life, without my constant companion, DeziLu. So, congratulations to both of you!

Dezi sends his weldome to Hakuna! we look forward to more photos, so we can follow along as he grows...
82765-2519755811.jpg

NuJohn321

Original Poster
I love him so much! Hakuna says hello to Dezi ran to the screen when he saw the beardie only thing i could guess and that pictute is when he just woke up he sleeps like that! Hes chilling on m head right now (im on my bed he cant hurt himself if he decides to dive but look at himor her!
XiXsqch.jpg

So i have a question as i am new to this on if hes growing correctly im always worrying if hes eating enough
He was born roughly feb 6th he is about 5 1/2" he moved was straight during the picture haha but i would like to know will get weight soon know hes got some weight to him since hes been witb me also went through from what i think was his first shedding two weeks ago

NuJohn321

Original Poster
I also have another question. Dubai roaches are illegal to posses in florida i didnt kniw this until i bought a colony and they won't ship it. And i am kinda getting tired of crickets. Any other feeders that work just as well as the roaches? If not ill stay on crickets but i dont want to.

NuJohn321

Original Poster
Martadragon017":q0gruahr said:
You can also feed them BSFL (Black Soldier Fly Larva) :)
Hmmmm i will look into it! Thank you also now i know what BSFL means lmao
But can this replace the crickets and also do they need to be dusted still? And funny when i read thay there was an ad for the BSFL

dezismom

Juvie Member
Hakuna is such a photo hog! Very photogenic. :)

He looks quite healthy--the correct size for his age, good weight, no signs of dehydration. The body is growing in the correct proportion to the head.

Diet--so important, especially at his age and growth rate! Even a week without correct nutrition will affect him for his entire life. Crickets are a great source of easily digestible protien. But, as with any living thing, a variety of foods is important. When Dezi was that age, this was his diet: Mornings, noon and evenings, I offered by hand (long medical tongs, actually) crickets, mealworms, Bearded dragon food for baby beardies made by Nat Geo, and lastly, a few waxworms. Offer as much as he will take of the first "course", then begin the next. I leave a few crickets to run loose in the viv to provide snacks and entertainment, as Dezi hunts them down. All crickets dusted with powdered calcium with vit. D. I have a plastic "cup" made for dusting that has a lid, with a compartment in the bottom where the dust goes--I drop a bunch of crickets in the cup, secure the top, and turn it upside down with a gentle shake. Once turned right side up, the excess dust drops back into the bottom through a plastic grid. A zip baggie with a pinch of dust does the job just fine, but with the amount of crickets and number of feedings, the cup is so handy! I also offered Dezi snacks throughout the day, every couple of hours, until he was a year old. I have since realised that I was overdoing it, but he grew up so healthy and big, I would follow that same diet if I ever got another Beardie.

The food by nat geo is found in pet shops, in a bag. It looks like green peas. Must refrigerate after opening. I warm them and hydrate them by dropping them into a little container saved from waxworms or mealworms, with hot tap water in it. After about half a minute, I drain the excess water, pat the "peas" dry with paper towel, and sprinkle a pinch of calcium/D powder over it, before feeding. I leave any leftovers in a dish for Dezi to snack on as desired. The calcium powder was used every meal, every day. Two or three days a week, I added a pinch of powdered multivitamin, as well. Always, ffresh salad in a bowl, and fresh water. i do prefer to give live protien, but wanted Dezi to be accustomed to a prepared food, in case I ran out of live and could not make the hour drive to a pet shop, due to a blizzard. Also, a prepared food can be handy when traveling, and Dezi comes along everywhere.

As important as nutrition, is the environment. he must be able to bask in 105* to digest properly, or all that nutrition is no good. Also, most important is the UVB light. I highly reccomend the long tube fluorescent lamp for desert reptiles called reptisun 10. For a 40 gallon vivarium (the absolue minimum size for adult beardies) a 24" long light is needed, to cover all the viv. It fits into a reflector top for aquariums. These reflectors and lamps are not cheap, but well worth their cost, saving your precious one from a dreadful bone disease called MBD, (metabolic bone disease) that cannot be reversed once started. It is a silent killer, will not show any signs until it is too late, and is quite painful. Due to the rapid bone growth, our babies are most vulnerable to this awful disease. Only one week with poor UVB can be all it takes. I hate to be all drama queen about it, but it is our babies worst enemy, and I have seen so many cases of good owners,being misinformed by the petshops, buy the wrong UVB lamps and suffer the result. After their growth rate slows, usually around a year but sometimes two years, they can go a few days with insufficient lamps, but why take the chance? Oh, and the lamps must be replaced every six months. They will still produce the same amount of light, but not enough UVB--that begins to lessen from the day you turn it on. I mark my lamps with masking tape and the date of purchase on the reflector, and mark my calendar to replace the lamp.

Well, that was a small book! Sorry, I am a retired teacher, and do go on a bit. There is plenty of info about all this, on this site. And feel free to ask any questions! I apologise if you already know all this--I never know how much a new poster knows, or how much experience they have, so I can come off as preachy, but do not intend to offend?? I just love Beardies--and want all owners to be informed so they may have happy, healthy beardies for many years.

Your Hakuna should be shedding, about to shed, or just over a shed continually for the first year, due to the growth rate. A sign of good nutrition is a good shed, not in bits and pieces, but all at once, or at least in big areas over the body, like all the tail, then all the back.

Dezi says, "always get your UVB!"
82765-9223824176.jpg

NuJohn321

Original Poster
Well thank you for the info! He has his 10.0 reptisun along with his basking light that gets 110 highest on his wood then has cooler basking spots next to that.
I JUST moved him into the 40 gal about when i made this post. Lucifer (snake) needed a bigger tank so hakuna gave up his 20 gal to him then got the 40.
Planning on getting the long 28" light for the tank aswell! I knew a bit of it. His hornworms and crickets came today! But thankyou on reassuring for the growth he was also 8 grams tuesday when i posted this is now 9.5! Definitely a growing dragon
I was also told mealworms were no good, and i believed it had runnier poop after eating them but we're gonna try the hornworms now! I tried giving him one but he just licked it then closed his eye
He always does that when he doesnt want food because i can feed him by hand he'll take the cricket or whatever. But if he doesnt want it he'll close the eye looking at it then look at me like i dont wannt. Also along with the greens i had some mustard greens in there there was a cricket on them and hakuna went for the cricket but got green instead looked confused but might've liked it. Will also get the pea type things tomorrow as well pet store is closed now and work all day
Also! Didnt read, his shed was his full tail then his head and back at once a day or two inbetween the two

dezismom

Juvie Member
Great stink eye! Mine gives a good stink eye, too...your set up sounds wonderful, and he is growing to be a big, healthy boy. kudos for the great snake name, Lucifer ! ha, ha!
Hakuna already has you well trained...they have such expressive faces, and can certainly let you know when a light needs on or off, or when a meal is a bit late. I never would have believed a reptile face could be so expressive, until I was blessed to own a beardie. (an accident, but a happy accident--now I cannot imagine life without him. As they get older, they get even better! :)

NuJohn321

Original Poster
Oh thank you I got Lucifer as a baby aswell from the same exotics pet shop. Oh he is a growing boy check out beardie tales for newer pictures! But you are so right I never thought their faces could show so much expression little did i know I was wrong haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom