Just Got My First Beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roovin

Haven't decided on a name yet but man I'm blown away, this guy is gorgeous. He was born on 1/5/18 and is a super citrus leatherback

1sxnqv.jpg

24oya6g.jpg

2v82xb9.jpg

4tqek0.jpg

The poor guy was so scared when he arrived to my house. Took him almost the entire day until he'd start eating, but he's eating his crickets just fine now. Still very shy and runs away when my hand enters the enclosure but hopefully he'll accept me soon.

Edit: Just caught the guy totally conked out in his basking spot.
ddyvd0.jpg

Roovin

Original Poster
Bedtime and the little guy goes and decides that it's better to sleep UNDER the paper tower substrate then in any of the expensive hiding spots :lol:

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Wow, he’s beautiful! He’ll be a stunning adult. And don’t worry—it’s normal for babies to be skittish at this stage. It may take a while for him to calm down and trust you, but it’s all part of the beardie-raising process. ☺️

evie123

Roovin":2wxysq2o said:
Haven't decided on a name yet but man I'm blown away, this guy is gorgeous. He was born on 1/5/18 and is a super citrus leatherback

1sxnqv.jpg

24oya6g.jpg

2v82xb9.jpg

4tqek0.jpg

The poor guy was so scared when he arrived to my house. Took him almost the entire day until he'd start eating, but he's eating his crickets just fine now. Still very shy and runs away when my hand enters the enclosure but hopefully he'll accept me soon.

Edit: Just caught the guy totally conked out in his basking spot.
ddyvd0.jpg

He is so adorable!! Omg <3 Names can be really tricky as there are no good ones on the internet aha, but i suggest looking through this forum to find some good ones. I am planning on getting my first beardie soon, how has it been so far? Is he getting used to you? :)

Roovin

Original Poster
evie123":42nbtscq said:
He is so adorable!! Omg <3 Names can be really tricky as there are no good ones on the internet aha, but i suggest looking through this forum to find some good ones. I am planning on getting my first beardie soon, how has it been so far? Is he getting used to you? :)
I decided on Balder (Norse god of light) since he is going to be a nice citrus/yellow beauty when he's grown.

I've kept paper on the outside of his enclosure just to try and put as little stress on him as possible. Each day from today I''ll take a little off. He's aten a few crickets and dubias out of my hand and I've picked him up twice. He'll stay in my hand for about 10 seconds then try to run. It's progress though, I can't expect him to bond with me completely overnight.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
In the beginning minimal short handling sessions are best, especially if he’s still got a little relocation stress. Babies can be very flighty so I recommend holding him low to the ground in an area where he’ll be easy to retrieve in case he bolts or jumps (babies are famous for startling many members on these forums with their “suicide jumps”). It’s great that he trusts you enough to eat out of your hand. That’s a big step and it means the bonding has commenced. ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom