10 month old beardie, below average size. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my bearded dragon King for a few months now, and he was my first beardie. I was told that he had a parasite which supposedly stunted his growth- but he seems to be nowhere near the average size for a beardie his age. He is currently ten months old, and his body is only 7" long, with a total length of around 14" with his tail. His tummy is chubby, but not fat like a typical beardie. I've been feeding him as many bugs as he wants (until he stops going for them) twice a day. I feed him a mix of medium sized dubia roaches as well as crickets. He seems to be growing more and more, but at a very slow rate. He is very active and seems happy, but I have a terrible feeling that something is not right and I am petrified at the thought that I may be doing something wrong. He happily runs around my apartment when I let him out. He has a very curious attitude, and he enjoys falling asleep on me at night so mentally he seems well. I am just gravely concerned at his lack of size. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how to upload an image with a post, but I have 3 recent photos of him that I uploaded. Someone please let me know if you have any advice as to what I could do to help him. My heart breaks for the little guy and I'm doing everything I can but my local pet store seems to be giving me some unbeneficial information.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! If he is active and eating well he is probably OK. 14'' isn't too bad but he likely still has some growing to do. If you can post photos it would be helpful to gauge his overall condition. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, 14" is not really out of the acceptable normal size range. Bigger + faster growing dragons do not equate to the healthiest or the ones that will live the longest. A large fat dragon will almost always be a couch potato and may not live a long life at all.

So don't be worried that he's not quite as big as you think he should be, he has plenty of time to grow and can live a healthy happy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom