New Dragon owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel92aj

Hi guy's
I bought him exactly a month ago, he is been behaving normal the only concer I have is that the last few days the stool one day is runny the next one is solid and a bit stinky im just afraid of parasites and make sure evrything is appropriate for him
This is how the enclosure looks like
full

Also im not sure of what type of dragon is he can you guys help
full

For the thermometer i saw some of the post and people advise acurite with a probe but i didnt find it so i got the one that is in the tank do you guys think is fine?
full

Temperatures are basking 104f humidity 20% cool side somewhere between 76-80

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! That enclosure looks nice. I have some suggestions that might help optimize it. I would move the Accurite over to the cool side to get ambient temps there. I would use a digital thermometer like this one and put the probe on the basking rock to get an accurate surface reading there https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ an IR temp gun would work for spot checking surface temps as well. https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK

I also advise moving your UVB light so it's closer to the basking area. You want the high intensity UVB to be combined with warmth and bright light while basking. Ultimately it would probably be best if you can upgrade that to a T5 fixture and bulb which will produce UVB levels closer to natural sunlight and will have a greater reach across the tank. This one is a great option http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

I would keep an eye on the poops but see how it goes over time. Sometimes they just get an upset stomach and it's not necessarily a big deal. If it is runny or clear the room stinky for a couple of weeks then I'd have it checked out but sometimes they have day to day fluctuations due to diet changes or just general digestion issues.

daniel92aj

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion
1)I moved the UVB light close to the basking spot
2)finally got the thermometer with the probe once installed readed 125F so i used the lamp dome with the dimmer to get a good temperature close to 108F cold size 77F humididty 35% at night it goes down to 75
The poop is looking more consistent ?
He's is also no eating as much but is probably due to shedding
The only question now is about the UVB light the one i have is a reptisun 24" 10.0 is that "Ok" or i need the arcadia?
full

full

full

And thats the other stuff i bought.
The CHE is just in case when my room gets to 66F at night so i try to keep him a little warm

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
The Reptisun and Arcadia tubes are practically the same. The only major difference is that Reptisun is by ZooMed, a U.S. brand, and Arcadia is a European company (which is why they’re much harder to find in the U.S.). Both lights are proven to emit an effective level of UV for beardies, so either is a great choice.
Regarding the bowel movements, if his appetite is normal and he’s basking regularly, parasites probably aren’t an issue. If a bearded dragon has coccidia or something similar there are usually other symptoms that accompany very runny/extremely foul-smelling bowel movements (these can include a loss of appetite, inactivity, not basking, etc.). So your little guy may have just had an upset tummy. Certain veggies (like butternut squash) and insects (like hornworms) can also cause runnier stool. But he looks alert and healthy. ☺️

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Also, unless your room hits 64F or below at night a CHE isn’t necessary. If it’s 66 degrees then he should be fine, but if it does get colder the CHE will come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom