new bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nardia

hi my daughter just got pet bearded dragon ,and one shop sold us a ceramic heater to replace the basking light with a temperature control system .the next shop said this was no good and should have a basking light have two uv lights 2& 10 from what remember .Any advice appreciated

Nardia

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
You will need a basking lamp that emits light, and a temp gun to read the temps. The basking surface area temperature should be from 105 degrees Fahrenheit to 115 degrees Fahrenheit. You will also need a good UVB lamp, not a coil or compact bulb but a long tube one. The brand also matters, I'm not an expert on which brands are good and which are bad, but if you post which one you have some1 else can probably confirm whether or not it's good. Also, absolutely no loose substrates or colored bulbs, they are not good for your beardie in any way. Loose substrates cause impaction and colored bulbs can damaged your dragons eyesight, along with many other minuses. Other than that, if you could post some pics of your setup that would be great, also list what kinds of lamps you have, wattage, brand etc. Hope this helps. :)

nardia

Original Poster
Hi Than ks for your reply

Exo Terra Sun Glo Basking Lamp - 100W
Exo Terra T8 Ballast Unit - 30W
Exo Terra Medium Glo Light
Exo Terra Digital Thermometers x 2
Exo Terra Repti Glo 10% Fluorescent Bulb - 30W
Exo Terra Repti Glo 2% Fluorescent Bulb - 30W
Sandpaper Mats x 2
http://www.thepetexpress.co.uk/reptile-vivarium-starter-kits/vivexotic-viva-bearded-dragon-starter-kit/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAq6_UBRCEARIsAHyrgUx56o9-0bWShiM8AHsFACb_jtZv-XtNs7q2IwjWEHGe8ADUo6Em3IwaAjp_EALw_wcB

this came with the vivarium got told to change the basking light to a ceramic and but a thermostat when buying and when my daughter got some plastic plants from another shop told needed basking light ceramic no good .The thermostat is a ThermosControl PRO II ,not sure the ceramic bulb lost box will attach a photo ,Thanks again for assistance
97452-1585833938.jpg
97452-4426606377.jpg
97452-437360490.jpg
97452-6837247209.jpg
97452-9796483018.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You will want to get a reflector for your T8 10% bulb and set that around 15-20cm above the main basking area for it to be most effective.

From what I can tell, the ThermoControl Pro 2 is an on/off thermostat so it will work best with your ceramic heat emitter overnight. If it keeps turning the basking light on and off it will be more problem than help. You could set it to monitor the cool side temp (under the ceramic heat emitter) during the overnight and to come on when the temperature drops to 19 and turn off when it gets to 23 or so. That will ensure overnight temps stay warm. If your house stays warmer than that overnight then the ceramic heat emitter won't be needed.

For your basking light, measure the temperatures with one of the probes sitting right on the basking site and either change the height, wattage, or dim the output of the basking light to achieve the proper temperature gradient. You want the basking surface to be between about 38-42 or so and the cool side should stay around 26-28 or so during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom