Sign my petition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

talktothetail

Hatchling Member
i made a petition on change.org to stop pet stores from selling sand, it would mean a lot if some of you signed
dm me if you want the link, if not sure if im allowed to post it.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Just saying, I don't think stores should have to stop selling sand, just present warnings of use. I switched over to sand once my beardy became 3 and wasn't missing any prey items any more. As long as one takes the time to spot clean and the beardy is not at risk of impaction(improper husbrandy, calcium deficieny, bad accuracy), I think it's fine to use, though using say purple id bet be pretty annoying to find out your beardy has become a grape. However, I may try out excavator clay because it has quite the appeal(you can make shapes, sometimes beardies can dig, almost no risk of impaction for any aged beardy if used properly, etc).

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Are there other reptiles that can live on sand? I agree that beardies shouldn't, but maybe other lizards can. Or is the sand sold specifically for beardies?

talktothetail

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Martadragon017":nlx2743g said:
Are there other reptiles that can live on sand? I agree that beardies shouldn't, but maybe other lizards can. Or is the sand sold specifically for beardies?
more or less directed towards beardies. Also, i made this because some reptiles CAN live on sand, however the sand marketed to directed to mostly animals like leopard geckos and bearded dragons which sand can be fatal to. Blu, im confused what you mean, bearded dragons SHOULD NOT be put on sand. No matter if they "dont miss their food" bearded dragons lick their surroundings, adults and babies are at risk of impaction on any loose substrate.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
talktothetail":1tltczgi said:
Martadragon017":1tltczgi said:
more or less directed towards beardies. Also, i made this because some reptiles CAN live on sand, however the sand marketed to directed to mostly animals like leopard geckos and bearded dragons which sand can be fatal to. Blu, im confused what you mean, bearded dragons SHOULD NOT be put on sand. No matter if they "dont miss their food" bearded dragons lick their surroundings, adults and babies are at risk of impaction on any loose substrate.

True, they do. However, with an adult beardy who's provided proper husbandry impaction risk is quite low(granted the beardy doesn't miss it's food and gets a mouthful of sand every time). Also, while sand is an impaction risk, so are nearly all other non particle substrates(as you mentioned) yet I often see leopard gecko and crested gecko owners use Eco earth or some other loose particle substrate without any "attack" from viewers on YouTube videos. It seems to be only sand and walnut shells that gets all the hate. I'm not saying those who "educate" others don't have good intentions it's just they appear to only care about certain loose substrates and turn a blind eye to other loose particle substrate. And, there are risk in everything you do with your beardy. Whether it be risking mites when letting them outside to roam, risking a respiratory infection from a bath if a beardy is still wet, etc. Sand just happens to be one of those risk that is often pointed out. I don't want to pick a fight, just offer my 2 cents. Though, while I'd take a warning over complete banishment of sand, I'd rather get sand banned than let pet store employees tell people to use sand with their babies and juveniles. Which is why I suppose I might sign your petition, I may PM you later, just maybe.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think a lot of the issue is misguided marketing. A lot of the bags of sand have a picture of a bearded dragon on it (same goes for inadequate lighting). I think that at least removing images of bearded dragons from items that aren't suitable for them is a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom