New Here :o)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! New dragon family here from Boston, MA area of US.
Just welcomed our first beardie last week. We believe it’s a girl. I’ve tried looking with a bright flashlight and didn’t see 2 of anything, so, until it gets a little older, we are just calling her a she. We named her Dracarys (Game of Thrones reference) so far everything is going well. I’ve owned reptiles in the past, so, I’m familiar with live feeders and things like that. I’m still learning what are the best bugs to actually feed her at the age she’s at. We aren’t sure exactly how old she is, but, I’d say about 3 months or so. She’s a fantastic eater, but a TAD lazy about chasing crickets. And of course, the crickets have found a spot in my exo-terra enclosure above the background to hide out where she can’t get them! I flick them out sometimes, but, they are little jerks and always seem to evade her. She does catch them usually if she stands right in the spot that I drop them. I am still learning, and so many different breeders have so much different advice. I immediately got super worms, which she seemed to really love, and they were easier for her to catch. I got worried because they seemed a little large for her. So, I got meal worms. My son's science teacher has a 3 year old male and she has always fed him meal worms, so I figured it would be ok. Now I’m reading that they aren’t good for them! Arg!!! LOL I’ve dusted all her meals. Oh and she’s doing great with eating her veggies as well. Loves collards, baby kale. I haven’t seen her eat the shredded carrots or yellow squash yet, but I am keeping that available in her enclosure everyday. I notice that after she eats her bugs, she will lick the calcium powder off the floor that’s left over. Is that ok?
Another thing I’m curious about is your opinions on soaking. I’ve also read so many different thoughts about it! I was planning on doing it, but then I started reading and seeing YouTube videos from owners who say it’s unnecessary.

LillyBell114

Original Poster
P.S. she looks tiny in this picture, it’s the angle. If anyone wants to give me a quick instruction of the easiest way to post pictures, I’d be grateful! Photobucket sucks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! She's a cute little one. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them using the XIMG button.

It's OK if she goes after the extra calcium if she wants to. Not harmful and fairly common behavior. As far as bugs go, I'd offer a rotation of black soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms, calci worms, repti worms), silk worms, small crickets and small roaches. The more variety you can add to her diet both in bugs and in veges the better.

When I offer bugs I put them in a small yogurt cup or similar and add a bit of calcium dust, Give the cup a shake so they have a light even coat, and then offer them up just a few at a time so they are easy to track. That leaves most of the extra supplement in the cup and makes it easier to remove the extra bugs after mealtime. Those foam exo-terra backgrounds can be a big time hideout for crickets because they can get into the canals for the cables. I wound up removing mine to add more space anyway.

As far as baths go, some of them like baths and some don't. They aren't necessary unless they get stinky/dirty (sometimes they run through poop for example). They aren't worth the stress if they don't like them. If they do like baths they are fine to offer if you want. They aren't necessary though.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
It might be a good idea to remove the foam rock background, I used Velcro to attach it on the outside of the tank. Mystic found out the hard way, that it was not on the inside anymore, as he slide down the glass. I use the non adhesive shelf liner now for the floor, no where for bugs to hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom