New Bearded Dragon - advice and tips welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryffinDragon

My son and I have been browsing the posts and researching for several months now and we are finally getting our dragon delivered tomorrow, he will be around 3 months old. Just wanted to post our setup and make sure we are not missing anything important.

We decided to build the standard 4x2x2 vivarium out of melamine. Our setup is as follows:
97240-3716991469.jpg

Lighting and heat:
Basking area (right side, off at night)
- 65W indoor flood - probe reading on rock 101
- Reptisun T5 10.0 HO

Cool area (left side, off at night)
- 25W globe bulb for light - probe reading on hammock 75

Middle (on at night)
- 100W CHE - controlled by inkbird thermostat set to 75

Substrate
- Reusable shelf liner

Food and supplements
- He will arrive with dubia roaches (what the breeder has been feeding)
- We have Phoenix worms, horn worms and supers on hand for his protein.
- We have collard greens and dandilion greens ready for his salad. Along with whatever fruit and veggies we will be eating during the week.
- Calcium supplement with D3 (for dusting roaches, do the worms needs dusted?)
- Vitamin supplement (1 x a week?)

Cleaning
- 10% bleach mixture in a spray bottle.

I think that is it. Thanks for reading.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Most of it sounds pretty good! As for the worm question, almost all sources of protein need calcium except for BSFL(Phoenix and reptiworms are the only BSFL suitable for use as a staple), and maybe silkworms since their calcium content is pretty high. As for the supers, many suggest that supers aren't to be fed to young dragons below 16 inches as there's supposedly a kink in the digest tract that straightens out at adult length. No one who's said that has provided me with a source to show its authenticity but better safe than sorry, if anything, go with micro supers or mealworms(superworms only on occasion for babies, mealworms only on occasion for all beardies). As for multivitamin, id say 2 times a week. My 5 year old beardie receives calcium2-3 times a week with d3 and herptivite 1-2 times a week. Seeing as your beardy is probably a young one, calcium with d3 5 times a week and a good multivitamin that uses beta carotene over synthetic vitamin a such as herptivite 2 times a week.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with the previous post regarding the dusting schedule and worms. That enclosure looks fantastic and I think he's a lucky little guy to have that as his home. The only thing I want to add is that instead of bleach (which is fine if you are rinsing it well and drying it) you may want to consider using F10 which is a bit less harsh when diluted but quite effective for sanitization. I've found that for general cleaning a mix of vinegar and water works well. It helps to loosen up solid bits and once clean, the surfaces can be sanitized (with F10 or your bleach mix). Please keep us updated when he gets there and let us know how he settles in or if you have any questions about his care. I look forward to hearing about his adventures =)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He's a good looking dragon! He looks healthy and happy. I hope he settles into his new home quickly =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom