Help With My New Baby Chaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone!!!
I just got my Very First BD!!! I got him from the pet store 4 days ago and so far Evrything has been good! Here is my baby Chaz
97215-8258534874.jpg

They did not have any information for me about anything pertaining to him besides they put 5 crickets and 3 mealworms per dragon per day in the cage with them not ensuring they all eat to their fill (not okay). They called him a Fancy Bearded Dragon because of his color (he was in a cage with other dragons of different color and they were all called the same) I am not sure how old he is or anything he is about 6” maybe 7”. He is currently eating about 6 small crickets per feed (2xs per day) I always put in about 10 in his food dish and place him next to it. Once they jump out he doesn’t chase after them unless they come bck towards him. Is this normal?? I do not know if he is a male or female lol hopefully male. Not sure if he’s a hypo or not. He is kind of Orange! He is going to the bathroom fine 2-3xs a day!!! I have tried to give him a bath but he started to bob his head when he got by the water. It was about 85-90 f. Any ideas on how to get him to like baths??

97215-4271528269.jpg

His Current set up

97215-2110284744.jpg

-He is currently in a 20L glass tank
- As far as substrate I chose newspaper (is this bad?)
-He has a small food bowl and a water/ bathing bowl with very little water( so he won’t drown and keep humidity low)
- Stone hide on low temp side, stone branch in middle and a ceramic tree under basking light.

*** LIGHTING AND TEMPS***
-Currently using a Zilla SlimLine Dessert Fixture (50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Buld 18”) should I Chang this? I have seen many people use it but not sure if there is something better I could be using
-Basking Light: Exo Terra Day Light 100W. Is this okay to use or should I change to something else for Basking
I also have a 50w infrared light as well as a 50W night heat lamp light( not currently using these 2)
Warm side stays around 75f and basking spot stays about 101f
At night it says 74f. Are these temps okay for Chaz?
Is there any ideas you can give me to help my little baby stay healthy? Please let me know!
(Sorry it’s so long)
97215-6224921378.jpg

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Based off of his appearance, I think you might want to bump up his feeding to three times a day and giving him as much as he wants for around 10 to 15 minutes. With my beardy at least(when he was a baby, he's now 5), he would get bored of the crickets and eat them later, I didn't take them out but people in the forums do suggest it since crickets can get hungry and on occasion, bite. Make sure to be giving calcium 5 times a week, with d3 is fine, and a good multivitamin like 2 times a week. Herptivite is probably your best bet for multivitamin while rep cal or other phosphorus free calciums are your best bet, though other brands such as National Geographic's brand can be used too(the calcium, multivitamin you'll definitely want to go with a multivitamin using beta carotene instead of synthetic vitamin A such as Herptivite). As for the temps, as long as the nighttime temps where he's sleeping doesn't go into the 60s, he doesn't need any nighttime heat. If he does need extra heat, a ceramic heat emitter will be much better than a colored nighttime bulb as CHEs give heat without the sleep disturbing nightlight. Also, if you haven't already, a temp gun provides the most accuracy so don't bother with a stick on thermometer and probe thermometers aren't always accurate either. As for feeding, supers(small ones), mealies, and waxworms should be given only on occasion. Crickets, Roaches, silkworms and Phoenix/repti worms can be used as staple Feeders. With BSFL, different brands of larvae are fed different diets which result in different nutritional value. For example, calci worms calcium content is a little higher than optimal and so should probably not be used as a staple BSFL while BSFL like Phoenix and reptiworms have good calcium content and pretty good overall nutritional value, which is why Phoenix and repti worms are the only two staple BSFL larvae I would use, though I'm sure there are other stapleworthy BSFL out there too. By the way, don't bother dusting the BSFL as their calcium content is already at an optimal level. As for newspaper, it's fine but there are better choices like excavator clay, tile, and a handful of other good choices. Sand can be used for adult beardies but the risk of impaction, while usually quite minimal by the time beardies reach adulthood, still exist. If you plan to use sand later down the line, initially use something like repti carpet or tile and then switch to playground sand at adulthood. Calci sand can be used but apparently poses a greater risk of impaction since it clumps when wet(like in a bearded dragon's tummy). Playground sand should also be checked and washed before use. As for the uvb, an exo terra compact dessert version preferably 26w or even better, a repti sun t5 10.0 tube or Arcadia tube uvb would be a bit better than the t8 you have.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Since you beardy also head bobbed(usually an act of showing dominance), I also bet it's a male instead of a female. Such pretty eyes your beardy has, I think it's the translucent dragons that have black eyes, though I am not really sure about that.

dezismom

Juvie Member
What a lovely little chap! great color! Have you named him, yet? Set up looks very nice, too...

He should be fed as much as he will,eat. At this age they are just eating machines, and growing at a phenomenal rate, so proper heat, vitamins, calcium and UVB are extra important. Sounds like you are doing a good job, and becoming self educated, which is also very important.

Many beardies dislike baths. Mine hates them. As they are desert animals, I Only bathe Dezi when he is dirty due to poo on tail, for example, or during a particularly big molt (shed) to help with that, or if I think he is constipated. Some Beardies do learn to like baths, but that will take some time. They hate anything new, so just give him time to become accustomed to the bathing. I decided to limit bathing Dezi, because stress is bad and can cause illness, and it was not worth that to me. At three years old, Dezi has grown a bit more tolerant of baths, just sitting it out, but I still only give him one as needed, because I do not want to encourage a fungus on his skin, as too much moisture can cause.
Dezi says...I hate baths, too! And Welcome to the wonderful world of Beardies!
82765-5543772783.jpg

ChazTheDragon

Original Poster
dezismom":1x10rhyo said:
What a lovely little chap! great color! Have you named him, yet? Set up looks very nice, too...

He should be fed as much as he will,eat. At this age they are just eating machines, and growing at a phenomenal rate, so proper heat, vitamins, calcium and UVB are extra important. Sounds like you are doing a good job, and becoming self educated, which is also very important.

Many beardies dislike baths. Mine hates them. As they are desert animals, I Only bathe Dezi when he is dirty due to poo on tail, for example, or during a particularly big molt (shed) to help with that, or if I think he is constipated. Some Beardies do learn to like baths, but that will take some time. They hate anything new, so just give him time to become accustomed to the bathing. I decided to limit bathing Dezi, because stress is bad and can cause illness, and it was not worth that to me. At three years old, Dezi has grown a bit more tolerant of baths, just sitting it out, but I still only give him one as needed, because I do not want to encourage a fungus on his skin, as too much moisture can cause.
Dezi says...I hate baths, too! And Welcome to the wonderful world of Beardies!
82765-5543772783.jpg

Thank you so much for the advise and knowledge! Greatly appreciate! Dezi is super cute!!! And yes I named him( I think it’s a boy) Chaz!

ChazTheDragon

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":1ig0nk2q said:
Based off of his appearance, I think you might want to bump up his feeding to three times a day and giving him as much as he wants for around 10 to 15 minutes. With my beardy at least(when he was a baby, he's now 5), he would get bored of the crickets and eat them later, I didn't take them out but people in the forums do suggest it since crickets can get hungry and on occasion, bite. Make sure to be giving calcium 5 times a week, with d3 is fine, and a good multivitamin like 2 times a week. Herptivite is probably your best bet for multivitamin while rep cal or other phosphorus free calciums are your best bet, though other brands such as National Geographic's brand can be used too(the calcium, multivitamin you'll definitely want to go with a multivitamin using beta carotene instead of synthetic vitamin A such as Herptivite). As for the temps, as long as the nighttime temps where he's sleeping doesn't go into the 60s, he doesn't need any nighttime heat. If he does need extra heat, a ceramic heat emitter will be much better than a colored nighttime bulb as CHEs give heat without the sleep disturbing nightlight. Also, if you haven't already, a temp gun provides the most accuracy so don't bother with a stick on thermometer and probe thermometers aren't always accurate either. As for feeding, supers(small ones), mealies, and waxworms should be given only on occasion. Crickets, Roaches, silkworms and Phoenix/repti worms can be used as staple Feeders. With BSFL, different brands of larvae are fed different diets which result in different nutritional value. For example, calci worms calcium content is a little higher than optimal and so should probably not be used as a staple BSFL while BSFL like Phoenix and reptiworms have good calcium content and pretty good overall nutritional value, which is why Phoenix and repti worms are the only two staple BSFL larvae I would use, though I'm sure there are other stapleworthy BSFL out there too. By the way, don't bother dusting the BSFL as their calcium content is already at an optimal level. As for newspaper, it's fine but there are better choices like excavator clay, tile, and a handful of other good choices. Sand can be used for adult beardies but the risk of impaction, while usually quite minimal by the time beardies reach adulthood, still exist. If you plan to use sand later down the line, initially use something like repti carpet or tile and then switch to playground sand at adulthood. Calci sand can be used but apparently poses a greater risk of impaction since it clumps when wet(like in a bearded dragon's tummy). Playground sand should also be checked and washed before use. As for the uvb, an exo terra compact dessert version preferably 26w or even better, a repti sun t5 10.0 tube or Arcadia tube uvb would be a bit better than the t8 you have.

Thank you so much for all th advice! I will be changing my UBv lighting, finding multivitamins and finding some new food for him/her! I really appreciate you help it definitely gave me a lot Of insight! Thank you

ChazTheDragon

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":ioxae45s said:
Since you beardy also head bobbed(usually an act of showing dominance), I also bet it's a male instead of a female. Such pretty eyes your beardy has, I think it's the translucent dragons that have black eyes, though I am not really sure about that.

Thank you! The head bobbing thing is a sign of dominance lol I had to read a little so it’s a high possibility it’s a boy!!!

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
ChazTheDragon":2a2eeb6q said:
KeyBlu422":2a2eeb6q said:

Thank you so much for all th advice! I will be changing my UBv lighting, finding multivitamins and finding some new food for him/her! I really appreciate you help it definitely gave me a lot Of insight! Thank you

Not a problem, hope you have many great years with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom