New dragon, bad eating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.
just recently got a new, 2-3 month old, bearded dragon. His name is Mushu and he is very adorable. He has not eaten much since ive gotten him. ive had him for 15 days. He has eaten little greens and does not even bother with crickets that I give him. He has had two days where he has eaten crickets that are running around. He only seems to eat them if they happen to walk by his face. He is becoming skinnier and I am scared since he is so small he may become ill quickly. I dont know how to get him to eat and bask properly. He seems to not like the temperature of the basking spot (90-100) as he moves out from direct view of the light. Please any tips on raising him properly would be appreciated. I will answer any questions.

AragonsDad

Original Poster
destiny1998":2kqt07db said:
Hi. What kinds of lights are you using? How are you taking the temps?
i am taking his temps with one gauge on the right side of his basking spot

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I chimed in on your other post with more detail but I think the issue is certainly lack of UVB with that light. It's important to get a higher output bulb as soon as you can. It's also important to get accurate temperature readings and a safe gradient but I would focus on getting that UVB light replaced soon.

AragonsDad

Original Poster
CooperDragon":22jlwxz8 said:
I chimed in on your other post with more detail but I think the issue is certainly lack of UVB with that light. It's important to get a higher output bulb as soon as you can. It's also important to get accurate temperature readings and a safe gradient but I would focus on getting that UVB light replaced soon.
so higher output ass just in the wattage? ive read reptisun 10.0 is the best. i have seen a 26w reptisun but it is expensive. I will take money out of my savings soon and get two of them. one for each dragon. Could housing a one year old dragon and a baby dragon be contributing? they are proabably 8 feet apart at different heights with things blocking their view.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not the wattage rather the format. A T5 tube produces much higher UVB levels than a 13w compact does and can send it over a greater distance. It's closer to the levels that would be seen in natural sunlight. The ReptiSun 10.0 T5 is a good bulb and on par with the Arcadia 12% in terms of effectiveness. Since you would be changing format you'd need a T5 fixture for the bulb as well.

If the T5 is out of the question at the moment due to cost (I'd save for one, they're absolutely worth it) then I would go with an Exo Terra UVB200 26w bulb. That should fit in your current dome fixtures. They are effective at around 6-8'' from the bulb so I'd try to get the basking area or at least a branch into that distance. They degrade more quickly than a T5 so I recommend replacing them ever 6 months or so to ensure they are performing up to their capability. They are a big step up from the 13w bulb you have but aren't as effective as a T5, especially in a larger tank.

I don't think having two of them in the same room is a big deal, especially if they can't see eachother. Having two in the same tank competing for resources would be a problem though.

AragonsDad

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1qv9ib3y said:
It's not the wattage rather the format. A T5 tube produces much higher UVB levels than a 13w compact does and can send it over a greater distance. It's closer to the levels that would be seen in natural sunlight. The ReptiSun 10.0 T5 is a good bulb and on par with the Arcadia 12% in terms of effectiveness. Since you would be changing format you'd need a T5 fixture for the bulb as well.

If the T5 is out of the question at the moment due to cost (I'd save for one, they're absolutely worth it) then I would go with an Exo Terra UVB200 26w bulb. That should fit in your current dome fixtures. They are effective at around 6-8'' from the bulb so I'd try to get the basking area or at least a branch into that distance. They degrade more quickly than a T5 so I recommend replacing them ever 6 months or so to ensure they are performing up to their capability. They are a big step up from the 13w bulb you have but aren't as effective as a T5, especially in a larger tank.

I don't think having two of them in the same room is a big deal, especially if they can't see eachother. Having two in the same tank competing for resources would be a problem though.

so should i invest in the two bulbs per tank or should i get the arcadia for the 40 gallon and a 26w for the smaller tank?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd definitely go for the T5 for the 40g. What size is the other tank? If the basking area is 6-8'' with no mesh inbetween what you might want to do for cost's sake is get a ZooMed hood. They ship with a T5 5.0 bulb which is similar to the UVB200 and T8 bulbs. When you get a bigger tank (40g breeder or bigger) which you'll need to do eventually, you can buy a ReptiSun 10.0 T5 bulb for it and use the same fixture down the road. Best to go straight to the 10.0 but I'm thinking in terms of what the best route is within a tight budget. It saves money in the short term but it's about the same long term I think. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26053-Reptisun-Terrarium/dp/B00AQU8F2O As I said earlier though I'd at very least go to the 26w UVB200 in the same fixtures for now as a low cost stopgap. That part is pretty critical.

AragonsDad

Original Poster
Mushu (baby dragon) is in a 10 gallon bc thats the only tank i had as a spare. i will for sure get those bulbs, most likely tomorrow, and update in the coming days. eventually i will move to the arcadia or the t5

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In a 10g definitely start out with the UVB200 26w. That is really too small of a tank to have a proper heat gradient though. I'd go with at least a 20g long for a baby. If you have a Petco nearby keep an eye out for their $1 per gallon sale they do a few times per year. You can pick up a decent tank for a steal. If you can build your own tank though, that's best in terms of size and cost.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah bummer. It will show up again in a few months most likely. You might also have some luck finding a good deal on a tank on craigslist so that's worth a check too. Hopefully the new bulbs help out quickly =)

AragonsDad

Original Poster
so aragon (big dragon) seems to be doing better. more active, has eaten every day, and stays in the heat more. Although this is happening, his hip bones are becoming more prominent. i may just need to be letting him do his thing and obviously give him time to gain weight but i am worried still. Mushu has been eating but not as much as babies should be. I think he is still nervous but with that i also just have to be waiting. They only had one of the 26w bulbs so i am waiting for them to restock before i get a new one for mushu. im hoping all of this helps quickly bc i am stressing about them

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope the new bulbs make a quick difference too. Hopefully they will have them back in stock soon. Please keep me posted on both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom