New & a little confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbmomlife

Hello! We (my husband, 3 boys and I) got our first bearded dragon last weekend from a friend. She is 3 years old. We are basically following what her previous owner did and I was just starting to think we were getting the hang of it but we visited a locally owned exotic pet shop today and now I’m questioning things. I’ve also read a lot of conflicting information online so I’d love some advice! I’m sure these questions have been asked before so I apologize for any duplications.

-Previous owner said they fed her 50 crickets last weekend so she should be good for 2 weeks. Is this correct or should she be eating insects every day?

-Pet store owner said they feed their beardies superworms (8 per day). He says they’re easy to keep alive and they’re better than crickets. Is this what I’m supposed to be doing? Are these things stinky? If we have to do insects more often, I’m looking for easy, non stinky or noisy and the most inexpensive option.
(Roaches personally freak me out.)

-We are feeding her mustard greens every day so far. We’ve also done some kale, raspberries and frozen peas & carrots. I’ve researched all the safe fruits and veggies just not sure how much/often she should eat.

-Are we supposed to be giving her a bath for her health? In the bathtub?? I’ve also read to spray them with a mist bottle?

-Her home has been about 104 degrees for about 14 hours a day then we turn the lights off and she sleeps. During the night it is 70 degrees. I’ve read this is what we’re supposed to do and this is what previous owner did. Pet store man said temp should stay the same at all times and we should have a heating pad on the bottom of the tank. ??

-Calcium and multivitamins? She’s never had the vitamins and her calcium was from calcium coated crickets. After researching, I’m planning on dusting her greens with calcium 2 times a week. Are the multivitamins necessary?

She seems happy and healthy so I really thought the previous owners were doing what was supposed to be done. I’m just wondering if we can make her healthier and help her have a longer life span. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thank you!! ?

97172-4031721139.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Heat mats are not needed. All beardies need is a bright white basking light and a good uvb light like a reptisun 10.0 T5 Tube. The basking temp is good. I would feed her since she looks a little thin at least 2x a week like 25 each time. You can use dubia roaches they have more protein then crickets and they are quite. She definitely needs calcium 3x to 4x a week. I use bee pollen instead of vitamins.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Feed your beardie every day. At one year old, they should eat approximately 75% live protien, 25% greens/veggies, and some fruit. Add a good calcium powder 3-4 times a week, and multivitamin 2x a week. These can be found at most pet stores, or online. I use Rep Cal calcium powder with vit. D, it is reccommended by many Beardie experts.

Roaches freak me out, too! So I offer a variety of other live food, including super worms, giant mealworms, crickets, and a few waxworms (as a treat-they are high in fat and low in nutritional value, kind of like candy for humans) All live food should be no bigger than the space between your beardies eyes. The worms come in tubs. You can puchase them from a pet store, or online. . worms can be kept in the refrigerator, if you buy several tubs, and want to extend their lives, but must be room temp to be fed to the Beardie....I buy several tubs, keep one out by the vivarium, and fridge the rest until needed. (I hide them in the veggie bin, under a plastic bowl, to reduce the "ick" factor) In frigdge, the worms do not need food, but at room temp, place a few slices of baby carrots in with them, except the waxworms which do not eat veggies. Always remove any dead worms! They stink, and can cause rapid die off, if left in the container. Healthy worms do not have a bad smell.

I keep the crickets in a ten gallon bait bucket with a very secure lid, in my basement as they can be a noisy. I use clean wood shavings, saved from the emptied worm tubs, as a substrate and also pieces of egg crate, and an empty toilet paper roll. I change out the substrate and pieces of carton about twice a month, or any time the substrate becomes wet or smells. .The pet store will often throw in some egg carton with the bag of crickets, if asked. Crickets do need water, but will drown if it is in a deep bowl...I use a small ash tray, with some paper towel in it, for water.

Beardies are desert creature, so a bath is not really needed, except when they get poo on them, or to help loosen a big shed. A warm bath also helps if the Beardie seems constipated. Too much bathing can encourage a skin fungus. I do not spray my boy Dezi, because it could increse the humidity in the viv,(again,skin fungus). In the wild, Beardies seldom drink water from a pond--they are from a desert--they get their hydration from their food, or from lapping up dew that forms in the morning. I use a small syringe and drip water on Dezi's lips. If he is thirsty, he will lap it up. When he is done, he turns his head away. When I first offer the water, it may take a minute, before he reacts by licking his lips or sticking his tongue out for more. (super cute!)

I guess it must seem alot of work, to keep a healthy Beardie! Well, yes, it is...but I consider it our time to bond and interact, so it is more play, than work! And My Dezi is such a love, he really enjoys any attention from his mommy. I have a daily routine of changing out his water, fresh greens in a dish, offer some live food by hand, and a few crickets in the viv for him to snack on. I also offer some snack during the day, just because he likes that. A blueberry, or raspberry while he is on my lap, makes a great snack, and is shareable!

Beardies are capable of forming a deep bond with their owner, and love to be held, chase kitty toys, pet, and even brushed with a very soft make up brush. (DeziLu hijacked my super expensive, real hair make up brush--he preferred it, and I could not refuse, when he closed his eyes in lizard bliss!) They become members of the family, even go on vacation with us. I never would have thought that a reptile would be so affectionate, and steal my heart, but these Beardies are very special--they are well worth the time and money and effort! So, welcome to the wonderful world of Bearded dragons!

DeziLu, three years old, my big sweetie pie
82765-6118934038.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom