Meet Ritz (worried first timer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleWile

Hello, my name is Kyle. I am a new owner on Oct 24th for my birthday. So to this date, I have owned Ritz for almost 3 months soon. Out of these three months, I have been taking care of her (The reptile store didn't know their gender sense they are young I don't know their age either so I just picked female). I have a been feeding her cricket dusted with calcium, giving her fresh, cleaning the cage the whole deal. The concern that I am having with Ritz is that she is still running up against the glass in her cage whenever I try to go pick her up she will run away from me all the time even if its just a simple petting. I would read that this act of fear would pass after a couple weeks but she's been like this for a sense I got her. I'm afraid I'm not being a good owner. Am I doing something wrong to where she dosn't trust me?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Some bearded dragons are more skittish/energetic than others, especially when they're young. Can you upload a picture of your enclosure? Just use the User Image Uploader tool at the top of the page.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like there may be a lighting issue. Can you please detail what you are using for lights and what the surface temps are around the tank? It looks like there is a red light on. I advise removing that and using bright white lights for basking. You'll need to use a high quality UVB light that is appropriate for the distance to the basking area as well. I can help you straighten this out with a little more info about what's currently in place. What are the dimensions of your tank?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
What are your temperatures like? (basking, warm, cool) Also, what do you use to measure temperatures?

It looks like you're using a compact fluorescent UVB. These bulbs aren't bad, but they're not great either. Since the bulbs are so small they have a very limited range, which means that if your beardie isn't basking, they're not getting UVB. This can actually contribute to MBD in some cases. I would recommend upgrading to a Zoo Med Reptisun t5 HO fluorescent tube or Arcadia 12% as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom