First time owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullins

Hello! We gave my son a baby bearded dragon for Christmas. (The dragons about three months old) We all are in love with him! Spike is doing great so far. Eating TONS of crickets, a little of his collard greens and squash. He doesn’t like cabbage at all.

What vegetables do you all recommend for this age? I know he should be getting mostly small crickets at this time but we want to make sure we are giving him what he needs.
Boy are they expensive little creatures! Lights, timers, food... We are getting 40 small crickets about every three days! But he is worth it!

This site is so helpful and I am enjoying everything I am learning. Thank you for your advice!

96585-5288563687.jpg
96585-3086706735.jpg
96585-8091667564.jpg

talktothetail

Hatchling Member
Could you posts his lights and setup?
Also make sure you actually cook the squash not give it raw.
Babies diets should be 85% bugs 10% veg and 5% fruits.
That would be vegg 2 times a week with occasional fruit and bugs the rest of the time. I know the pain of going to the pet store every few days. I suggest getting a cricket keeper and getting around 6 boxes of crickets at a time. That’s what we do and it lasts a good week or two. I also suggest BSFL (Phoenix worms) as most beardies adore them and they are easier that crickets

Mullins

Original Poster
Thank you for your quick response! We will look into the worms you mentioned. I haven’t ever heard of them! Where do you purchase boxes of crickets from?
Our set up is pictured below. We have a 30 gallon tank. Spike seems very happy in and out of it. He’ll eat from our hands, hunts crickets on his own, and loves to be handled. We have gotten the temps correct and are very pleased. My husband bought the digital thermometers as well as the laser temp gun. (Fun new tools!)

Lights: uvb- 24” reptisun HO 10.0 on timer
Basking: Zilla mini 50w halogen on timer
Heat: 100w ceremac heat emitter on a jumpstart digital thermostat controller

96585-154609015.jpg
96585-3414003309.jpg
96585-3000240978.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom