Bathing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxs

I have only had my 11 week old dragon just over a week now and am looking for some advice about bathing him, eg how often, where, water temp/depth, drying etc He is still not keen with me handling at the moment so want to make it as stress free as possible for him. Thanks

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Soak your beardie 1-2x/week in warm (90-100 degrees) water no deeper than shoulder height. You can use your sink, bathtub, designated bathing tub, etc. as the place to do it, but be sure to disinfect and rinse afterward. Dry your baby by sticking him back under his heat lamp afterward. If he will tolerate it, you can also pat dry with a towel.

3magpie3

They don't really need to be bathed unless they're dirty from dragging themselves through poop. So I'd wait until he's more comfortable with handling.

They don't absorb water through their skin, and encouraging poops through baths can actually be dehydrating.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
3magpie3":38ijag09 said:
They don't really need to be bathed unless they're dirty from dragging themselves through poop. So I'd wait until he's more comfortable with handling.

They don't absorb water through their skin, and encouraging poops through baths can actually be dehydrating.

Yes and no. While they can't absorb water through their skin/vents/etc, regular bathing gives beardies an opportunity to drink as much as they want, and actually helps hydration.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Pooping while in the bath still isn't dehydrating, as bathing does not force a bearded dragon to defecate any more than it needs to expel. The poo that a dragon produces in the bath is the same that they would produce in their terrarium, with the same potentially dehydrating qualities. There are plenty of other causes for dehydration — too high temps and dry food being two of the most common — but bathing is nowhere on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom