Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 10 year old bearded dragon that I've been given from my school on Wednesday of this week (12/20/17). He is 17 inches and weighs around 417 grams, which I'm not sure is a good weight or not. He looks a little thin to me, at least compared to other dragons. Now for some background on our situation: He's been on a diet of pellets but today was the first time he ate for me. He had about 15 multivitamin dusted, large dubia roaches, 3 frozen/thawed pinkie mice and a small amount of carrot and green pepper. I had to hand feed him for almost 2 hours, which I didn't mind because he was actually eating. I don't know much about bearded dragons but have looked at the care sheet and information on here and am continuing to do research. The main reason I'm taking him is because he has an incorrect set up, diet and isn't much cared for. My teacher even told me don't worry if he dies because he's been acting weird and not eating, maybe also due to his age. His enclosure, in inches, is 19Hx30Lx12W but I have a 40 gallon breeder on hand that I was planning on using for a ball python but helping this beardie is more urgent. He has a yellow basking bulb and no UVB. He came with a large water bowl that I know isn't necessary, a puny branch and a way too small hide. The substrate is the fabric reptile carpet. I replaced these things with a wooden hide his size and flipped over the water bowl to use it as a basking spot. I moved the lamp closer so his basking temperature is around 105-110 when it was 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm going to fish out the 40 gallon breeder from the shed tomorrow (can't move everything around myself or I'll probably break a few things!) and use paper towels over the carpet until I can get some tile for the flooring. His stools have been really mushy and he's only went twice, the first day I got him and a smaller one today. The urate on the first one was encased in a slimy pink looking thing but was dry and hardened on the inside, I'm not sure if that's normal? Today he spread it all around and was laying in it (I cleaned it up, don't worry :lol: ). I've soaked him twice for 15 minutes each time.

I'm just going to include a list of things I've got in my shopping cart that I don't already have for the dragon so suggestions and edits are welcome if anyone is willing to.

Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp : 150 Watt - (8.5" Diameter)
Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot Lamp : 150W
Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB High Output Bulbs : 24 Watt - (22" Long)
ViaVolt 2 ft. T5 1-Bulb High Output 24-Watt Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture
Repcal Herptivite
Repcal Calcium Powder
Flooring Tiles
Branches and other enrichment

I have an infrared temperature gun that I bought for my leopard gecko. Should I get a digital thermostat for the basking light or is that not needed? I'm going to purchase a box of 1,500 large crickets and 2,000 large superworms while my young dubia roach colony grows out (I fed him 2 of my 4 males and all of my nymphs and only have 23 females left). Getting him some mustard, collard or similar greens tomorrow and a little something else, not sure what till I get there. He has lots of stuck shed. Any tips/general information/help will be more than appreciated! Sorry if this isn't the right place to post my wall of text, but my introduction might as well include what we're going through.

Here are some pictures of him. If there are any noticeable signs of illness/ailements, please let me know! Thanks!

http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/CheshireGleam/library/Bearded%20Dragon?sort=3&page=1

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like you've given him a pretty good set up and he looks quite healthy, not underweight in the least. One ting I'll warn you of, that was waaaaay too much food for any adult dragon. I would not be surprised if he vomits tomorrow [ I hope not ] but that amount you fed him was enough for a week. So go slow on the live food, 1-2 large dubias a day will be plenty for a 10 year old 17" dragon. Another tip, just order 500 large crix or 1,500 3/4" crix. If you order too many large they will be near the end of their lifespan and will die off before you can feed him anywhere near that amount.

Offer greens like turnip, mustard, collard, arugula, endive and veggies like green beans and squash.
Best wishes to you + your new beardie !

CheshireGleam

Original Poster
Oh wow, I thought they ate a lot, thanks for letting me know that! And good tip about the crickets too. Thanks for the wishes, I'll need them! Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom