My New Little Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDubbaDubz

95888-5062128166.jpg
95888-8760807858.jpg
95888-3037910648.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm new here so forgive me if I do something wrong. I just wanted to introduce you all to my new beardie, Hamster! (It's an inside joke in the family to name pets after animals that they aren't. We call him/her Hammy for short). Obviously, it's a bit too young to tell the sex, so we just call it a "him" for now. If it turns out to be a girl, I'll probably change the name to something more feminine.

Hammy is around a month or two old, (not sure exactly, as the lady at the pet store couldn't remember when they were born). For now, I'm keeping him in an old hamster cage, but I hope to get him a real vivarium soon after Christmas. We have a somewhat ghetto lighting setup right now. My grandpa and I built a little wooden table out of a few boards that stands over the cage that the light hangs from. When we first got him, he didn't eat much, but after awhile he got quite an appetite. Now, he's starting to shed so he's not eating as much, but I'm making sure he gets at least a few crickets a day and plenty of collard greens.

Hammy is very calm for the most part unless I let him out. When I let him out, he loves to crawl around and explore. He also loves to climb around on me while my dad and I watch Game of Thrones (as you can see in the pictures).

The rest of the family isn't as excited about having a lizard around, so he mostly spends time with me. My grandpa and my dad are okay with petting him, but my grandma absolutely refuses to touch him. But apparently, my grandma does like to watch him and check up on him while I'm at school, so I'm starting to think she might grow to like him. We have two dogs, but they're both very timid so I'm not worried about them hurting him.

Let me know what you guys think! Like I said, I'm new here and I've never owned a beardie before so if anybody could give me any tips I'd be glad to hear them.

talktothetail

Hatchling Member
Hello!

You said you give him lots of collard greens, stop this, babies need atleast 80%bugs and 20% greens when they are babies. I am not trying to be mean, but he needs more bugs. Can you send pictures of his set up?

ElDubbaDubz

Original Poster
I apologize if I was misleading, I do feed him plenty of crickets. I make sure he has the right amounts of both, I just meant that he really seems to like collard greens.

I'm currently in school so I don't have any pictures of his setup. I'll take some tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom