Getting a Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, this is my first post so sorry if I'm doing something wrong. I was thinking of getting a bearded dragon but I have a few questions. First was: how often do I have to feed him? I plan on getting a younger beardie and I am gone on weekdays from 8am to around 3:30 PM. I have read that I have to feed them at least twice a day, I was wondering if it would be ok if I feed him when I woke up, and then when I left. Also, I was wondering what to feed him. Could i buy a container of crickets and feed him those along with a bit of greens? Sorry if this post is really long but I hope you guys can help me out.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Juvenile bearded dragons need a very high protein diet to fuel the rapid growth that takes place during the first two years of their lives. That being said, just how much change somewhat based on age:
- Hatchlings under 2 months: 2x daily
- Juveniles between 3-4 months: 1x daily
- Juveniles between 4-12 months: 4x weekly
- Subadults between 12-18 months: 3x weekly
- Subadults between 18-24 months: 2x weekly
- Adults: 1x weekly

It sounds like your dragon will be very young, so it will need insects 2x/day and a nutritious salad available every day. Offering gutloaded crickets right before you head out the door and then again when you come back home should work just fine. I recommend reading this article on feeder insects for bearded dragons.

As for what to put in the salad, the key is to offer a variety of high quality, nutritious greens (the stuff that you probably won't eat). Do not offer lettuce, as this stuff has basically no nutritional value — even romaine. Kale and spinach are also useless and can make your beardie sick. Better options are Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Dandelion Greens, Escarole, Endive, Swiss Chard, Bok Choy, Oak Choy, and Arugula. Again, I recommend reading this article on making salads for bearded dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom