My old lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superchimp

Hey all, just joined this forum to get some insight on my old beardy from others. She is around 15 years old and has finally started to lose weight in her tail and whatnot no matter how much I feed her. She still eats if hand fed, she has to be on account of her bad eyesight. Just recently I have relocated her to a small 20-gallon tank just so she doesn't have to move around so much to find her water dish/basking spot. She still seems happy but idk what else I can do for her at this age, does anyone out there have a dragon as old as she? Would love to hear your thoughts.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow that's a really good run. You must be taking great care of her. I would keep offering a wide variety of veges. Especially ones that are her favorites. Keep her well hydrated and if she has a favorite bug I'd give them as treats. I wouldn't put her in such a small tank mainly because it's more difficult to provide heat and UVB gradients. It makes sense to have everything be lower or single level to help her get around and self regulate though.

Superchimp

Original Poster
I just have a smaller heat lamp for her now, I think 50 or 75 and I do have a t5 uvb so that's covered. The smaller tank is because she literally can't support herself on her back legs. She kinda scoots around a bit by pulling herself along with her front legs mostly. In her previous tank I had to set her down to drink water, bask, wait till she was all warmed up and move her to like a midway spot etc etc. This past year has been rough for her motor skills.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wonder if maybe she's developed some arthritis. As long as you can get a good heat gradient the smaller tank is OK if she's having that much trouble getting around though. Easy access to resources is the key. You might try some silk worms and/or serrapeptase to try and reduce inflammation. It may help her joints feel a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom