New dragon and New member

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have two bearded dragons. I am taking care of my girlfriends baby beardie (Bilbo) that I got her for Christmas. Easy care so far as I have done extensive research and been an avid reader of this site. Bilbo is perfectly healthy but still skittish and wants to explore every time I take him out, which is not a problem to me except I have two adult cats. Yesterday, I got an almost one year old, male bearded dragon (Aragon) from a local pet store, not a chain pet store. I knew better than to take him out of his new terrarium, but I was too happy to have one of my own and took a shot at it. I got him out without any aggression or resistance. He scanned the room, licked my hand, licked my shirt so I decided to sit down. Not long after, he started bobbing his head. No puffing or opened mouth but just bobbing. I quickly took him back to the terrarium and let him calm down. I left the room and let him alone. After my dinner, I walked back into my room and stood at the door. After a minute or two, he bobbed wildly and fell off of his basking spot (not high enough to hurt him). As he is in a new environment, I understand and regret scaring him like that, but I was wondering what is the best way for him to recover from this? I clearly did not make a good first impression and I do not want to have made him aggressive. Thank you.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Ha! Head bobbing is usually a good thing. It's an assertion of dominance, claiming his new territory and telling you that he's the boss. Give him a week to establish himself before handling again, and then start for short periods of time, slowly working your way up to longer handling sessions.

AragonsDad

Original Poster
Well that is good and I definitely will allow him to establish his territory. Are there any other techniques to get him to warm up to me without me being invasive of his territory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom