The Flulfmeister hates eating salad

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluffyandLauren

Hi everyone!! My name is Lauren and I just adopted Fluffy on Monday. S/He is about 6inches long and approximately 2months old. So far he’s doing great.. eating about 8-10 crickets 2-3x a day, but he will not eat his salad! I give him a mix of carrots, celery leaves, celery and bell pepper, but he will only eat it if i hand feed him the slivers. I tried sticking a wax worm in the salad dish, but he was still uninterested. Is this a common juvenile behavior? Will he grow into liking veggies?

Another question i have is concerning the infamous heated rocks. I was given one from a cousin who had a lizard about a year ago. I've read good things about them, but I've also read many bad things(and a lot of sassy comments on this forum about them). I never turn it on during the day, I have it near the basking light, but not directly under. At night i do turn it on, BUT (hold all your sassy pants on for one second) I put one of my t-shirts folded up on top of it and he seems to really enjoy cuddling with it. Is this still a terrible thing to do? It seems alright to me, but then again I'm a newb..

Also here’s a picture of us right now watching tv. He feel asleep on my hoodie. Didn’t know I’d fall so fast for this little guy❤️❤️❤️❤️
95500-5614481023.jpg

He’s so cute!!! Atticus can be kinda iffy on salad too. Sometimes I have to make him eat it. As far as the rock, I can’t say because I don’t have one in there for him. I’ve heard they can burn their soft underside but, if you have a t shirt on it I’m sure that absorbs most of the heat.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's pretty common for the little ones to ignore salad in favor of bugs. They need lots of protein to support their growth spurts so it's OK for now. I would keep offering salad so it's familiar to them though. They start to transition to a mostly vegetarian diet at around a year old or as their growth slows down.

The heat rocks are controversial. I think a lot of the concern is that they could malfunction and overheat, causing burns. He probably likes the warmth overnight though. It's normal for them to have a cool down period overnight so if temps are above 65 or so additional heat isn't really needed. I like using a MegaRay heat projector to bring temps up a bit in the winter. My house gets cold so I have the heat projector set to bring temps up to about 70-73 on cold nights and it works well. It's overhead heat so it provides heat over a wider area of the tank than a heat rock or heat pad would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom