Just adopted Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all , I'm new to bearded dragons . I've had Russian torts for a long time (15 years)Sammy and slowpoke , so I know a bit about some reptiles and learned a lot about bearded dragons from you guys . I got Chester about 2 weeks ago , the last owner said he was about a year and a half , he is about 21inches long . Very active first thing in the morning then just bums around the rest of the day , loves being out of the cage and handled . The previous owners fed him kale , tomatoes and crickets and I changed it do to , I hate crickets (they stink and noisy) , and I read that tomatoes aren't the best for them on a daily , so I changed it to mixture of collard greens , and kale , super worms and horn worms . I read on here that he should be pooping at least every few day , well he pooped the second day I got him and not sense , the last owner said he really only poops ever 3 weeks to a month . Could this because of the last diet not really being the best for him and will it change? They didn't really know much about reptiles , like soaking and the right bulbs and heating , when I picked him up they just had a uvb coil bulb and a 100 watt heat bulb with one of those ceramic heat bulbs that was on full time ... He is eating regularly loves the superworms and really loves the hornworms and eats his greens sometimes , but I figured sense I'm feeding the horn worms and supers the same greens he is still getting them right ... I'll post a picture of checter in his cage , which is a 55 gallon I believe , been on the look out for a 100 gallon which I think will be better for him ... And I just want to say thanks for all the great info on this site ...
95477-3498116159.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad he found a good home with you! I would continue to improve his diet (removing tomatoes was a good move). At his age he should be eating mostly veges so offer those daily and reserve bugs for once or twice per week. I'd limit supers to an occasional treat. Hornworms are great as are silk worms. Dubia roaches would be good to add to rotation too. I would focus on giving him as much variety in his salads as you can. I find it helpful to reference this list for some ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Just rotate what you offer depending on what looks best at the store when you go. I think once you get him onto a higher fiber, higher water content diet (lots of squash and dark leafy greens for example) you'll see him become more regular and healthier overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom