Meet Chili! Advice appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amini

Hey, so I've been lurking on this forum a while and finally got my first bearded dragon at an expo a little more than a week ago. Unfortunately, I am not sure how old he is. He is pretty small so I'm guessing a 2 months or a little under? His name is Chili. This is my first bearded dragon (I also own a leopard gecko and crested gecko) and I am just soooooo nervous about it I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right :cry: Forums are a blessing and a curse because there's a ton of great info and helpful people but I also read a ton of scary stories that get me to worrying for no reason :lol:

full

He goes between being very calm then very skittish. Right now I mainly only handle him when I'm feeding him small crickets in a 10 gallon or giving him a bath. Don't have a measure on him yet until my so measuring tape comes in tomorrow.

His main staple is BSFL (about 20 in the morning and 20 at night) or sometimes crickets at night when I have them but recently with my luck they've been way to hard to keep alive. Being from Florida dubias aren't an option for me. I also have some really small hornworms and butterworms. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on how many of those I can feed him so I just haven't.

He poops twice a day normally and they're pretty healthy looking. Not too runny, not too dry...except when I get home and it's baked onto his Basking spot :roll:

Slightly concerned about his veggie eating. Right now I have dandelion greens and collard greens. He'll eat a few leaves if I offer them from tongs before I head to work. I still leave a handful on the cool side of the tank so it doesn't dry out to much throughout the day when I'm not home, but they still get pretty crispy by the time I get back home (he's alone for about 8 to 9 hours). Today I heard him nipping at some greens when I woke up from a nap but he doesn't seem to eat too many. I know at this point the diet is suppose to be 80% insects to 20% veggies but honestly I don't know exactly what that means.

full

Basking spot temp fluctuate between 104-109 depending on time of the day. Hot side is 94-96
and the cooler side normally 84 at midday. 40 gallon breeder. Arcadia 12% bulb inside the tank for the UVB and 100 watt regular bulb for the basking. Substrate is slate tile.

Using his hammock as a makeshift ladder to the basking spot but after observing him today it looks like he can get up there fine without it haha Definitely want to add a few more things but not sure what yet.

Savora

Hatchling Member
Your setup looks good! Welcome to the world of beardie keeping :mrgreen:

Honestly, don't worry about the salads. Being so young, they shouldn't have much interest in greens anyway. Keep leaving the salad out, though, he'll start eating it when he'd like to. Maybe only offer a little bit at a time if you're worried about wasting the food.

BSFL are a really healthy staple! A good bonding trick is to feed him out of your hands. :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom