Hi new here

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritbear1971

Hi i'm Carol i just rescued a 2 and a half year old bearded dragon. I was told he had gone into brumation at some point in the summer but was coming out of it. I'm slightly worried because all he does is hide and sleep, hes refusing to eat anything, i know that because he has been moved and there are different sounds that he could be stressed. He was very dehydrated when i got him so he has had a bath to make sure he is hydrated. I guess my worry is that if he is still trying to brumate it seems strange that it has been so long and that it is still continuing. advice would be greatly appreciated

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! He is possibly suffering from some health issues so getting him under good lighting (Arcadia is great) and proper temperature gradients is very important. Can you post some photos of him and give details about his current setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

For hydration, I suggest using a dropper or plastic syringe with room temp water and dripping it on his nose. If he is thirsty he will lick it off of his nose. Keeping him well hydrated is an important first step.

spiritbear1971

Original Poster
I'm in the process of changing Elliot's set up as it was quite poor, at the moment he has sand as a substrate, which i want to use reptile carpet but will have to wait a few days as i have been concentrating on changing his lighting and and heat bulbs. I bought a thermostat and a new heat bulb yesterday and have been monitoring the basking temperature etc with digital thermometers as he only had the sticky on ones, and they were too low with original bulb he had in there which was a 50 watt. Cant remember the temp it was with that bulb but it wasn't good. I now have an 75 watt Arcadia basking solar spot with UV-A and the temp is 95f basking end and 82f at the cool end. His viv is 3ft 8. I will post a pic of Elliot
95366-6548993899.jpg
.That is Elliot right now.

95366-2540972820.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty good! I'm sure he'll appreciate the upgrades you're providing for him. If he is used to digging in the sand, he may enjoy some fleece scraps or small fleece blankets to dig around in as a substitute. They can be thrown in the washer to clean as needed (same as with the reptile carpet) and he won't get his nails caught up in fleece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom