New to Beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMama1701

I’m not new to herps in general but new to dragons. My friend had me adopt her 3 year old male dragon because she did not have the time to care for him or the resources to get him food. I have had everything from emerald swifts to Cuban Iguanas. But dragons are new for me. I also own a gorgeous female Salcata tortoise.

More about Ninja. He was adopted first from a situation which caused some limited physical disabilities. He’s missing toes and he has a nobbed tail( not tail rot or cysts). His owner before me had limited time and he was between houses holds for a time. He seems well adjusted to my house so far. He’s eaten some of his greens and fruit. So I know he’s good.

My issue is how he wasn’t handled as much as he should. I want to know how to get him used to me, my touch and my smell. His owner before said to use a wash cloth and sleep on it. I’ve done that with dogs but never a lizard. Most of my lizards were babies and Cubans have amazing eye sight. Will this work? My end goal is for a hand tamed dragon who also will be harness trained so he can come to places with me.
Also head bopping, I know it’s a sign of communication. My iggies did it a lot. He doesn’t puff his beard or not does it turn black when I’m around, but with men it’s not the same story. How do I get him to trust my husband who’s always wanted a dragon?

Sorry for the rambles.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Welcome to our forum and you're welcome to ramble as much as you want. I was told that putting a piece of an old t-shirt that was worn by your husband into his tank to snuggle on, will give him his scent with a sense of security and comfort. Also have your husband put his hand gently into his tank and see if he'll let him pick him up that way, after he's had a chance to sleep on the t-shirt. I hope that helps your new beardie get used to your husband.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In addition to the t-shirt trick, you may want to have him try offering some treats by hand. If he offers some silk worms or a horn worm by hand (or whichever his favorite treat is) perhaps it will help build some trust and associate him with good things rather than getting a fearful response. Give it time though. It can take an older dragon a while to get used to a new home and new routine so gentile patience is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom