Meet Nova and Basking question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody!
I am a new beardie owner (Only 2 days) and VERY excited!
My beardie's name is Nova. I do not know the sex but I figured that name was a good name for either or lol
I did countless hours of research and think I have a an ideal enclosure, but I can't seem to get my basking temps to where they need to be. The highest I have gotten it is 91 degrees.
I have a 40 gallon tank (36"Lx18"Wx18"H), for my UVB light I use the reptisun 10.0 that is installed inside the tank now (not an updated picture) and my basking rock sits about 6-7 inches from my basking light.
For my basking light I use the 100 Watt Zoo Med power sun. Is there another light you would recommend to get my temps where they should be? The coldest my room Nova is in gets to about 72 degrees at night and 76 during the day so its not a very cold room.
Also bonus question! lol
Nova has only eaten about 5 crickets the 2 days I've had him/her. Why is that? Nova is still pretty young I figured his/her appetite would be more rampant!
full

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome! The PowerSun is a combination bulb so it produces UVB as well as heat. The 100w should sit 8-12'' above the basking area for proper UVB exposure but won't always produce adequate heat. If you're using a ReptiSun 10 tube (T8?) inside the tank that will produce a decent amount of UVB as well. Since you don't want to move the PowerSun any closer than 8'' then you may want to get a low wattage ceramic heat emitter or a low wattage halogen flood light. Those can be put on a dimming thermostat or lamp dimmer so you can have it kick in as needed to bump your temps up into the proper range as needed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The wattage really depends on the heat readings you get. You may need to try a few different ones to get it just right. I'd start with maybe a 60w or 70w and see what you get but those are usually sufficient as a main basking light on their own. You may need to hang it from an adjustable lamp stand so it's a bit further away, or set it on a dimmer, or try some lower wattages if they are available. Shoot for 100-110 surface temps in the main basking zone with a gradient down to about 75-80 or so on the other side of the tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Novathedragon":2fs0cnq7 said:
My wife checked the temp for me and it got up to 98 degrees so almost there. Just need a tad bit more.

Yeah 98 is reaaally close. Is it a wide area hitting that temp (wide enough for Nova to bask under evenly)? That's almost close enough I'd say leave it be. If there is a screen top between the bulb and the basking area maybe cut that out so it doesn't intercept as much of the output.

Novathedragon

Original Poster
Yeah the temp probe is in the corner right above the basking rock so the whole rock should be at 98. Since I have the Zoo Med combo deep dome lamp and I am not using that for UVB I put a regular bulb on the other side to make sure the basking spot was hot enough. I don't wanna get a new light and it be too hot. Yeah there is a screen the light sits on but its medal so I will try to cut it with some pliers or something lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's so close temp wise, perhaps just get a piece of driftwood or a wide stick and lean that on the rock to allow access just a little closer in case he wants it. You're definitely in the fine tune area rather than drastic changes needed.

Novathedragon

Original Poster
Good idea! I will do that. Thank you so much for your help.
Also I hate to be bother but in the 2 days I have had Nova he has eaten only 5 crickets...
is that normal??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not unusual. They can sometimes get stressed out by moves which causes a decrease in appetite for a bit. Shedding can also cause a decrease in appetite. They also eat less when they are between growth spurts too. Look for alert eyes, head up and active, curiosity, etc as signs of good health. He looks pretty content basking with his mouth open (they do that to regulate temperature).

Novathedragon

Original Poster
Okay good I was worried about him...but didn't want to freak out unless I had to lol
Thanks again for your help!
Gorgeous Beardie BTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom