He's Finally Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenOwlephant

Hi everyone! We are finally here. I spent a long time lerking and researching, probably about 2 years now. About 3 months ago. I finally decided to go for it. So I started getting all the items for a new beardie little by little when they were on sale or by pricematching. And Now he is here!

94737-6760353176.jpg
94737-7281756461.jpg
94737-6468290156.jpg

He is currently 9inches long i dont know how much he weighs. He has a smooth back which I'm assuming is a leatherback trait. And also clear nails but colored eyes.he is mostly yellow and some orange and green.
I picked him up at the local Pet smart by my job in culver city, California. I'm very fortunate that they take awesome care of their pets. The store associate had a beardie of her own for 3 years with all the right set up. It was late the night we left, the car ride home was bumpy and long because of La traffic but we got home and he went straight to sleep.

By the way here is his favorite sleeping spots
94737-2383918567.jpg
94737-1952917320.jpg

This week has been hard! I try not to handle him too much only when I had to put him in a bath cause he was having some yellow urate and would not drink water ?. He watches me closely and one day I had to step out of the room so he could eat lmao.
94737-3877738472.jpg
94737-3862835346.jpg

He is slowly getting better. I'm able to hand feed a lil but I mostly feed him with tongs for the first 20 Dubia roaches and then I put the remaining 20 in his feeding dish and let him go at it.
YES he is averaging about 40 to 50 Dubias a day. And if my arm didn't get tired I'm sure he'd eat more.
I ordered my feeders from rainbowmealworms. They are a good 15 to 20 min drive from me so it was easy to pick them up.

He is on his sleep routine. Light on at 830am and off at 830pm. I notice he actually goes to his "bed" (on top of the vines) about an hour before the light goes off.

I hope now that the first week if over. I can start working on taming him this week. I might even start a taming diary lol
Here are pics of his tank.
94737-3774430594.jpg
94737-1336597093.jpg
94737-3694358962.jpg
94737-2511993018.jpg
94737-3205397595.jpg
94737-8258307622.jpg
He is in a 40 gallon Breeder Zilla tank
A reptisun 18" 10.0 uvb bulb in a zilla slim line fixture that's mounted i inside the tank with command hooks
A 100 watt dimmable flood light for his basking bulb
In a flukers dimmable fixture
Using the large eco terra light bracket
Two zoo med digital thermometers
Recently added a digital hydrometer to the tank and got a bigger water dish that he could potentially sit in.

I love him already and can t wait to spend the rest of his life spoiling him. Also his name is either Mango or Ragnarok. I haven't decide hahah.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks like you picked well, what a cute little guy! I'm glad to see he's settling in well and has a happy home with you. I look forward to reading more about his adventures. Do be sure to remove the clear plastic that is in front of the bulb in that zilla slimline fixture as it will intercept all of the UVB.

QueenOwlephant

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3scy3l7e said:
Looks like you picked well, what a cute little guy! I'm glad to see he's settling in well and has a happy home with you. I look forward to reading more about his adventures. Do be sure to remove the clear plastic that is in front of the bulb in that zilla slimline fixture as it will intercept all of the UVB.

Thank you so much. I forgot to mention that's the first thing I did it took me forever to figure out how to get it off at first. And setting up the day n night timer took some YouTube help hahaha but finally everything is ready to go. Thanks again!

bambila

He is sooo cute. Love his colors.

Mango is on my list of names, so I'd pick Mango!

What type of flooring did you use for his home? Looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom