Meet Cider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourmaline

I don't post here very often, but I figured I'd post about the new beardie I have. I work at a pet store, and I saw one of the new leatherbacks having issues walking. It was falling over and twitching. They 'treated' it, and it improved a bit, but I wasn't satisfied, so I bought it the first chance I could get. I've been wanting another anyway.

I let my friend who has always wanted a beardie name this one, it's name is Cider. Cider is a whopping 8 inches long, and 14.4 grams. Compare that to my other 'baby' who is 13 3/4 inches long and 115.8 grams.. She's a bit dehydrated, but that's already improving, and she's not nearly as skinny as my other beardie was when I first got him, so that's a start. Still a bit of twitching but nothing major.

I'm unsure of gender but I think it's a female. She doesn't have a proper setup yet, she has a 10g until Friday comes around again and I get paid. She'll be going in a 40g until she's big enough for something permanent.

93394-8340500472.jpg
93394-1521767727.jpg
93394-9568262514.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's so nice that you took her in, and I like the name. She's a real beauty, I raised a lot of leathers that looked very similar. :)

Once you have her set up in the 40 gallon, be sure that it's a very simple set up so it's easy for her to get around , being that she's not in full health.

I used to raise babies in a very simple set up , a medium plastic tote [ about 16" high ] with a heat + uvb on top. Cardboard egg crate + a stick or two for climbing. This can be used for a couple of months until the dragon is in the 13-14" range if need be. Here are a couple of pics if you ever need to set up a simple + inexpensive enclosure. :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She's a cute little one. I'm glad you were able to take her in and give her good care. I like the name too =). Please keep us posted on her progress.

Tourmaline

Original Poster
So Cider is actually a boy. Flashlight confirmed it, had to wait until he was sleepy to get him to stay still for long enough.

He hasn't had any twitching since yesterday when I brought him home, but I am having issues getting him hydrated. His eyes are really droopy looking. He won't drink from a bath, won't drink if I drip water on his mouth, and he doesn't like being misted. Any advice to get him to drink? I'd stick to him getting hydration from the Phoenix worms and crickets but I'm a worried beardie mom. And I don't want him to be dehydrated with his possible other issues.

He also looks to have a break in his tail tip. It's not black or anything, but I put a bit of Neosporin to prevent any infection. I'm hoping I won't have a vet bill in addition to a new tank bill..

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good to confirm his gender. I wouldn't be too forceful with the water. I would just keep offering drops on his nose and if he's thirsty/dehydrated he will lick it up. Otherwise he probably has enough.

Tourmaline

Original Poster
I was just worried it would be a concern, especially with other issues he's having. I got a picture of his eyes, that sag means he's dehydrated, right? I remember reading that. I haven't had experience with a dehydrated dragon before, though.

93394-1924662353.jpg
93394-6897587948.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Such a cute little face =). Some of them have the saggy eyes like that. It could indicate an issue in some cases but a lot of what I've seen it's just genetic and how their eyes are. They sometimes have wrinkly skin too. It's loose so they can puff out when needed. The best indicator of hydration is to look at their poop and urate. If there is excess water coming through and/or the urate is not chalky it's a good sign. They are usually pretty good at licking up water when dripped on their nose if they are thirsty. They will get most of their hydration from fresh veges and well hydrated bugs though. You're right in that hydration is important, especially when ill or recovering, so do keep offering water so plenty is available for him if he wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom