first time owner saying hi and looking for viv critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmwl

Hey guys I'm Drew. I just picked up my new girl on Tuesday (5 days ago). She's got some stress marks but she's actually been eating and she's basking quite a bit. Her mouth is open when she's basking a decent amount of time so I think things are going well.

She's been eating crickets as a feeder only so far (cal w/ d3 7x a week, multivitamin 2x a week) Plan to order some BSFL soon. So far I've given her a bit of banana, a blackberry as treats. Collard greens and dandelion greens with some chopped up bell pepper are what i've been giving her so far. Plan to keep a nice variety.

She's 7 months old, 12 inches from head to tail. Don't know weight. Still no name, i can't decide!

Here's her viv: 36"L x 18" W x 17" T
Temps are measured with an infrared temp gun:
Basking spot(s): 110F (rock), 105F (log - not the one she's on on the pic)
Warm side: 84-88F
Cool side: ~77-79F
Night time: ~73F

Couple questions: I can't find any of those "9$ under cabinet fixtures at wallmart" here in canada. I'm currently using a hood one u can see in the pic that was given to me. (bought new reptisun 10.0 bulb though). The top isn't a mesh screen, it has bars that are decently spaced apart at least, and I've taken off the door by her basking spot for more UVB penetration. Is this set up sufficient? I know it's not ideal to have anything between her and the UVB bulb but I can't figure out a way to mount the thing inside the cage.

I plan on buying a real hide soon, rn it's an upside-down planter. She never uses it (although just the past day she's been going underneath the hammock a tiny bit to get away).

Let me know any other advice thanks :)
95035-1554437233.jpg
95035-6120645478.jpg
95035-5469788359.jpg
95035-2759494460.jpg
95035-5506340889.jpg
95035-7226392571.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looking good so far! It looks like she's settling in well and her tank looks great. Is your ReptiSun UVB light a T5 or a T8? I wouldn't bother with the cheap fixtures without a reflector. A T8 really isn't powerful enough for a tank that size without using a reflector. I recommend using a 22'' T5 UVB light for that tank. It can sit right on top over the basking area and should provide plenty of UVB even through the top if you have a basking area built up to within around 12'' of it.

drewmwl

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3ry1zf7l said:
Looking good so far! It looks like she's settling in well and her tank looks great. Is your ReptiSun UVB light a T5 or a T8? I wouldn't bother with the cheap fixtures without a reflector. A T8 really isn't powerful enough for a tank that size without using a reflector. I recommend using a 22'' T5 UVB light for that tank. It can sit right on top over the basking area and should provide plenty of UVB even through the top if you have a basking area built up to within around 12'' of it.

I got this bulb https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0009YHSWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if it is t5 or t8

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom