Vash - My first Bearded Dragon, The Day I Caved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
I'm Jamie aka Shidohari from Northern KY, USA.

So they were doing a pet adoption weekend locally and I had originally wanted to check on possibly getting a cat again. Thankfully I was talked out of that by the person who fosters the cats there because I was honest and advised I had mild Pet Dander Allergies.

I currently have a Betta Fish named Helios, but had also been considering Leopard Geckos after holding one a couple months ago. They were currently out at the time so I decided to hold a Young Fancy Bearded Dragon (see the picture below from me at home with this one who I can't Sex yet)

After ten to fifteen minutes of just sitting on my hand and getting petted I caved. I had two things working for me. One I had just gotten paid from my part time job that had 3 paychecks this month. Two, I had a 20 gallon tall fish tank that I could and did clean to convert to a habitat for him that would work for about 6-12months before I would have to sacrifice my kitchen table to hold the 40-50 gallon I would need for him or her when they got to being an Adolecent. By that time I would hopefully have found someone to deliver and carry it up the two flights of stairs to my one bedroom condo....And put it on the table, the only thing that would be big enough outside of my computer desk. Both are close to windows so they would get some light although because of where my condo it is it's afternoon light. The reason I can't use the computer desk for the big tank though is the way i have my system set up kinda needs to stay there.

Just read the article regarding mealworms on the forums. Thankfully i only had the one small container and I used the rest of it today as i'd used half of it two days ago. The Beardie's lighting schedule is set, but until i drop my warehouse job instead of the recommended two feedings (unless i do the second one about two to four hours later after the first one due to my work schedules), the morning feeding will be the only stable one. I go down to one job after this week, and my evening schedule next week at my part time soon to be full time job should allow for the second feeding to be stable. I have the lighting schedule set up for 10am to Midnight since my eventual full time hours at my call center job will be 130pm to 10pm. I should be able to maintain the two hours after light comes on and two hours before light goes off feeding schedule still after this week.

Going to get another repticarpet (that green almost felty looking substance) from petsmart to use as a swap when i clean the other one weekly. I think i can rinse the other one with water and hang dry it (correct me if i'm wrong) Don't think there's any tile small enough that would fit into a 20 gallon tall tank, though there's a flooring place near by i can check out next week.

Basking light is a Zoomed Intense 100W and i have a UVB light as well it's a 26watt UVB. I need to get two new thermometers the one have is working for right now, but it's one i had temp removed the battery as it was stored in my drawer at one point.

Will take them out for a bath in the bathroom sink later and there are some other things that I will probably try to get next week when i get paid again. He has a combination hiding cave climbing 'rock' I got at petsmart and the basking light is set up directly over it. The top of the rock is about 8 inches from the screen on top of the tank. The UVB is over the right side of the tank, but there's nothing to sit on there because that's where the food and water bowls are so it's the full top to bottom of the 20 gallon tall for the light.

Thanks for reading this long introduction. Sorry if I rambled too much.

Best wishes

Shidohari

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
He is beautiful & great colors. I switched from the reptile carpet to non adhesive shelf liner. So much easier to clean & bugs can't hide under it. He'll grow fast, plan ahead for his new tank. Tile will be good when you get a new tank. There are a lot of pictures of enclosures on this site.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Terry,

I haven't checked all the local pet stores but the two I primarily use don't sell Reptiworms, only mealworms. Vash prefers mealworms over crickets.

Is there anything you can suggest? he's still only 2-4 months old by his length.

Please advise.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You probably need to order Dubia roaches online for him. Meal worms are not good for the young ones. Mystic too gave up crickets, he only liked mealworms, they are like candy to them. Try to continue with crickets or the dubias.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like you are officially a Dragon slave. They want it thier way. There is a lot of information on this site. I'm sure everyone will help you. I'm a dragon slave too, but it's my nieces dragon. Giving him his meals, dropping water on his nose, cleaning up after him, the list goes on, but he loves me. Mystic is going on 3 years old.
83443-3913879665.jpg

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Terry15":29oju0as said:
Sounds like you are officially a Dragon slave. They want it thier way. There is a lot of information on this site. I'm sure everyone will help you. I'm a dragon slave too, but it's my nieces dragon. Giving him his meals, dropping water on his nose, cleaning up after him, the list goes on, but he loves me. Mystic is going on 3 years old.
83443-3913879665.jpg
He's so cute. Totally spoiled rotten I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom