Not open for further replies.
94506-6609528446.jpg
[XIMG]94506 66
94506-1137107988.jpg
09528446[/XIMG]
94506-6320698084.jpg
94506-7226699684.jpg
Hello all.
We just got a 3wk old Dragon 4 days ago (weight 4grams) from a friend. My son has not settled on a name yet so we are calling him/her Dragon for now. I have had skinks, swifts, geckos, water dragon, and Iguanas but this is our first Bearded dragon. The little guy/gal is eating pin crickets and salad consisting of greens and grated carrots. Until it gets a little bigger it is in a 20gal setup. I have all the lights, heat and nutrition taken care of and the little dragon is alert and eating very good. I am interested in a MVB but have no experience with them so any suggestions on a MVB would be greatly appreciated.
I would love to post pics but I can't figure it out.
Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! It's a good sign that your new buddy is eating small crickets. Hopefully he grows quickly to be big and strong. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

As far as lighting goes, it's well worth it to invest in a high quality UVB light. I would work on a larger enclosure too. That will give him extra space to roam around and will also let you provide lots of heat and UVB gradients for him to choose from which is important. As an adult he will need space that is at least 4'x2'x2' so a custom enclosure is your best bet for the cost. I like using T5 tubes for UVB because I can set them to an appropriate distance and then adjust basking temps separately by changing the wattage, height, or output of the basking light. I use MVBs as portable basking stations around the house and while we're traveling though. The downside is that they need to be set according to UVB output and may not provide the appropriate heat gradients in a main enclosure. A secondary heat source may be needed. It all depends on the bulb and the size of the tank really. I like the MegaRay MVBs a lot. I use 100w MegaRay bulbs as portable basking lamps set about 10-12'' off the ground. They would be appropriate for a 20g tank in most cases. Higher wattages would have a greater effective distance for larger tanks.

Spaceweaseal

Original Poster
I order the 24" T5 H0 10.0 fixture and bulb..
I have a 75 gal tank he will be moved into in a few weeks.
Thank you

Spaceweaseal

Original Poster
My son named him/her Taco.
The name came from his favorite book, "Dragons Love Tacos.

Taco was 4 weeks old on Tuesday and when we brought Taco home he/she was 3.5 grams. Tuesday the 26th Taco was 9grams. Taco eats 10-12 small Dubai 3xday and had a full shed on Wednesday.
94506-780942692.jpg

Fat and happy
94506-2754675164.jpg

Spaceweaseal

Original Poster
Taco will be moved out of the 20gal tank and into a 36×18×18 tank tomorrow. I have the zoo med 2' T5 Ho with the 10.0 bulb.
Will the 2ft work for the bigger Tank?
Thank you
94506-9567678798.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Such a little guy still. Enjoy it while it lasts as it seems he's already growing quickly =). Yes the 2' T5 will be perfect in the larger enclosure. It should sit about 12'' above the main basking area for best results (closer to 10'' or so if it's shining through a mesh top as that will intercept some of the output).

Spaceweaseal

Original Poster
Taco loves his/her roaches.
Today Taco weighed in at 12.5 grams.
94506-4699461022.jpg

Taco is very gentle and is letting us hold him/her and actually seems to like it...

Spaceweaseal

Original Poster
Tacos New house is still not ready.
I wanted to get Taco moved into it today but the sand mat I put in smells like a glue factory.
I need to mount the lights, move Tacos other furniture in and let that darn sand mat air out...

94506-1334716743.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good call. Don't rush it if it still smells funky. If it doesn't dissipate in a few days you may want to reconsider using it as it's not worth risking exposure to any nasties. My guess is that it should air out and smell OK in a few days though.

Spaceweaseal

Original Poster
It's already smelling better but I think I will leave it alone for a couple of days.
CooperDragon I agree and thank you for your comments.

Spaceweaseal

Original Poster
Taco said He or She is fine on waiting to move in. We negotiated a roach increase so To co is happy.

Just finished his 3rd set of 15 roaches today. Now Toco is soaking in the light.

94506-3132814965.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom