New beardie mommy. My beardie is sleeping a lot. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm new to owning a beardie. And I don't know if it's normal but she love is sleep on my chest. Ever since we got her. Which was last Tuesday. She'll doze in her cage but completely passes out on me. Does anyone else's do this? She is currently on my chest up under my cover.

ulintze29

Hello and welcome! Yes, some beardies love to cuddle, it's absolutely normal! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of her!

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
how old is your beardie? and what do you mean sleeps a lot? does you dragon basks? or just sleeps and dont bask. is not normal for dragons to sleep during the day unless there adults and there going in the brumation phase i got a 4 month month old beardie sometimes i take it out of the enclosure to chill with me while watchin tv but unless hes really tired he wont stay still and likes to go everywhere very hyper.also when she goes to sleep at night she completely passes out and thats normal i go in her cage before i go to work to leave food and shes dead to the world lol.

if you have a juvenile dragon and hes lethargic i would definately look into it maybe a visit to the vet.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Tthe sleeping on you that you describe, is what I call cuddles, and some beardies just cannot get enough of that! If you have one of those, consider yourself lucky! My big boy, DeziLu, has never been terribly active...he prefers naps and cuddles. So, I am not alarmed by what you have described, but it would be good to give ua some more info, like what is his set up, age, size, nutrition, etc...and a photo would help alot, too. (at any rate, we just love to see photos of other peoples beaddies ?)

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
dezismom":b7qx8mvm said:
Tthe sleeping on you that you describe, is what I call cuddles, and some beardies just cannot get enough of that! If you have one of those, consider yourself lucky! My big boy, DeziLu, has never been terribly active...he prefers naps and cuddles. So, I am not alarmed by what you have described, but it would be good to give ua some more info, like what is his set up, age, size, nutrition, etc...and a photo would help alot, too. (at any rate, we just love to see photos of other peoples beaddies ?)
my beardie is almost 8 months now hes been sleeping a lot and not much basking and hardly eating anything i have taken her to the vet and shes healthy so i guess every beardie goes trough that here is the pic of my enclosure
97755-7180362441.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Athena, How old is your beardie and what size ? If it's a new baby it should spend the majority of time in it's tank in the heat and should have a good appetite [ after it settles in ] and shouldn't do much sleeping in the tank at all until lights near " bedtime ". It's O.K for a baby to snuggle + fall asleep on you late in the day but should be active during the majority of the time until evening.

Can you post pics of your dragon as well as the set up showing what type of lights you have ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
As i posted above hes almost 8 months gor the 3 months i had him he was doing great untill 2 weeks ago when i put him on hes new permanent home the tank i had was an exo terra 36x18x18 i had a t8 10.0 and a powersun for heating now hes on a 4x2x2 has a t5 10.0 and a 65 watt flood light basking temps are 98 to 102 warm side is 93 cold side 80 to 83 and middle 86 i posted a pic of the enclosure on my last post the uvb according to my solar meter is no more then 100 micro watts so 40 to 100 my beardie went to sleep sunday evening at 530 pm and woke up monday afternoon at 300 pm i gave him a bath yesterday he was half asleep i put him in the basking area he basked for a good 2 hours today he roamed around the enclosure only ate 2 roaches and i put him in the basking area but he didnt stay long maybe 40 minutes i dont know whats going on with my little fella i think my lightning is good ill take a pic of the lights when i get home and when there off,ever since i put him in this new enclosure has not been the same 2 weeks now also ever since i had him i have not been able to get to eat veggies and fruits i trief a variety of fruits and veggies he is a very picky lizard and that just might be hes demise im afraid i was tild that she will grow out of it and eventually eat fruitsvand veggies right now is not eating much also he has not pooped since saturday is not impaction he ate likecl 5 roaches since saturday

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
My questions were for the original poster. :) If her dragon is a baby or young juvenile there could be a problem.

dezismom

Juvie Member
beardedragonlover, you say that your eight month old has not been the same since you put her in the new enclosure...The enclosure itself is likely the problem. I am concerned that some odor, gas, or glue is causing your beardie to be unwell...you may not smell it, but they are much more sensitive, and she is in it all the time. If it were my beardie, I would place her back in the same viv that she had been in before she was ill---exactly. I would wait a couple weeks to see if she improved, then I would know if the new enclosure had some issues. Meanwhile, be sure she is hydrated by offering water throughout the day by syringe, and offer all her favorite foods. As long as she is eating something, drinking, and pooping, she is at least not going to expire right away, hopefully, giving you time to figure things out. Is she pooping? impaction (not pooping) is serious. That could also cause her to havr educed appetite. If not pooping, a bath in warm water might stimulate her...if not, it may be time to get her to a qualified vet. My beardie did not switch to salads until he was three years! They are all different. They do not seem to go exactly by the books!

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Thanks i made the enclosure myself only thing i used was acrilic latex for the sealant part i let it dry for a week i think is Alex acrilic latex plus silicone when i get home ill read the tube i also bought vynil tile i cut up with scissors but i used that in the old enclosure as well just diferent kind it does not have any glue also used liquid nails to glue the rails for the sliding doors thats all that i used the enclosure is made out of melamine i purchased at home depot and i used f10 disinfectant before i put beardie in there i did took it to the vet saturday and gave me some meds metronidazole same meds the vet gave me back in march had a infection on the large intestine so the vet gave me that but she should of been better by now as far as i know people that build this diy enclosures use the acrilic latex no loose pieces that i found where my dragon accidentally ate a piece of the latex sealant if she dont get better ill put her on the old enclosure and see what happens i called the vet wednesday and told the receptionist that my dragon wasnt getting better he suppossed to call me back today thursday,i bathe her on tuesday im planing to bathe her again saturday

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beardedragonlover, if you start your own thread in the health forum it would be helpful for you as well as the O.P , it won't not get mixed up with the O.P's questions + ability to get advice for her dragon here. :) So please start a continuation of this in the health forum so other people don't keep replying about your dragon on this [ Athenastinson ] thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom