Newby and sleeping positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just got my bearded dragon a week and 1 day ago. He or she is about 2 or 3 months old, and has some weird sleeping positions here is a picture.

94420-1932683313.jpg

For some reason he sleeps standing up against the glass, just like everyone else said they do have personality, but if anybody could tell me if this is harmful or unhealthy, leave a reply. Thank you :D

ulintze29

Hello and welcome! Yes, a lot of beardies have some very....unique.....sleeping positions. One of mine used to sleep in the same position as yours does, except she would have her front legs and head resting up on her basking log while her back legs were on the ground.

I can't tell if it's just the lighting, or if you have a red light on in the enclosure. The red lights that pet stores sell as "night lights" don't work so well with beardies. It can disrupt their sleeping patterns as well as causing possible eye damage. Beardies need a temperature gradient from day to night, so as long as your house is 70 degrees or above at night, there is no need for a heat lamp during night time hours. If your house does drop below the 70 degree mark, I would suggest purchasing a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) and using it in conjunction with a thermostat. The CHE will not produce any light.

Great looking beardie you have, and again, welcome!!

TwitchyTheBeardie

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, and he drops cold whenever his lights go off, and thanks for the advise I may try it. If it doesn't work I will purchase a ceramic heater. Will he or she be at full length by the end of this year, it's about 2 or 3 months old. And what age will I be able to tell the gender?

ulintze29

TwitchyTheBeardie":32up6r5e said:
Thanks for the reply, and he drops cold whenever his lights go off, and thanks for the advise I may try it. If it doesn't work I will purchase a ceramic heater. Will he or she be at full length by the end of this year, it's about 2 or 3 months old. And what age will I be able to tell the gender?

Some experienced breeders can tell at a very young age, but you should be able to tell for certain right around 5 months or so. When you lift the tail, males will have 2 bulges on the each side of the tail just behind the vent, and females will have a single bulge in the middle of the tail just behind their vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom