Baby Beardie Not Eating, Sleeping Often

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelTheresa

Hi!
I got a baby beardie (they said he was a few months old) from petsmart yesterday. We got him everything he needed, including a basking rock that he can also go inside, a water dish, a food dish (I put some small chopped up fruits and veggies in there), a branch for him to climb on, a UV lamp / heating lamp (they came with the "All Living Things" starter kit), and a tank. He was very active the day I got him, and was very comfortable being handled. After he settled down in his new tank I put 6 crickets in the tank with him to eat when he gets hungry, since I was told he will eat 6-8 per day. Even though it's only day two, I am worried because he is not eating the crickets and he has been sleeping all day. Even when I handle him he will barely move and keep his eyes closed. Another important detail may be that he is going through a shedding period. I put some warm water on him today since I have read this helps with the process and I thought maybe it would liven him up. However he is still sleeping excessively and not eating. I hope that this is just because of transition stress and that he will warm up in a few days but I am also worried he could be sick. If anyone has any advice, please help!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I'm sure its some relocation stress. Also those kits are crap. If the uvb is a coil or compact those cause appetite and lethargy. The water bowl can be taken out. Beardies do not recognize standing water. What are you taking the temps with? What size is the enclosure?

RachelTheresa

Original Poster
Thank you for your response! The uvb is a coil, I believe. I am taking temps with a store bought thermometer that I stuck on the wall under both lights. It's been at a constant 90 degrees F so I am planning on getting a stronger bulb later this week if needed.(The basking bulb is 100 W and the high-output bulb is 26 W). The enclosure is 40 gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom