Newbie to the Beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hboyd1

Hello! I am a Special Education teacher, and am wanting a classroom pet to help my kiddos with education, learning social skills, and many other things! I am a huge animal lover, but have never owned a bearded dragon before. I have been doing some research about them, but was hoping I could get some advice from real owners, not just an article! I have a few questions about them such as:
Are they good around children? I've read they're very docile.
Is a classroom environment suitable for them?
Are females more docile than males?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are very docile and in my experience are good with children. Both genders seem to interact with humans similarly but can get quite aggressive toward other dragons. They do require a lot of attention and care and their equipment is not cheap, especially if you duplicate a home setup and classroom setup which is a good idea. Young dragons especially require a lot of care and interaction with multiple meals per day. They are quite curious animals and thrive when they are in an enriching environment so I wouldn't have one live in a tank in a classroom constantly but if you have one as your own pet and bring it in to the classroom frequently it may work. It's also good to keep in mind that they have a captive live span that can be similar to that of a dog so their care is a long term commitment. There are folks on here who can share direct experience with them as classroom pets and let you know more about how that works out.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
From my experience with beardies, gender doesn't really make a difference with how docile they are. Age does though, young or baby dragons can be hyper. I was surprised the energy level difference, even just from the 2 year old i knew, to what my 7 month old is.

Before my baby girl, i've dealt with three adult bearded dragons. A female about 7 years old, a male of undetermined age, and a 2 year old female. For the most part when you picked them up, they all just sort of layed in your hand. Though, we all have our days wjere we don't wanna sit still. The 2 year old and the male, liked holding onto your shirt. While the 2 year old also liked running up you or your arm to hide in your hair.

From my experience, as much as i love my baby girl. If you are looking for docility (not sure if that is a word.) Try to see if you can find an older dragon, one at least full grown (2 years of age.) They should calmer and easier to handle for longer periods of time. At least that has been my experience with dragons.

I'd think they do fine in a classroom setting, just make sure you get your set up and tank size right. Also, before you let your dragon meat the kids. I'd get to know him prettynwell first, like most animals. Every dragon has its quirks and better you learn them somewhere controlled.

Oh and as far as good around kids? Remember those three dragons i meantioned earlier? Well, that was from when i volunteered at a nature center. They were constantly being taken out for guests and shown to and petted by kidsnof all ages. The 7 year old female was part of our party line up and she'd just lay on your head. None of them ever seemed to have a problem being around kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom