Greetings friends...and a few questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsFrizzle

Hello all! I'm a new dragon owner, just brought my guy home yesterday! He's about 4 months old and is just finishing up a shed. I got him from a small local reptile place and they say he's a red citrus. Tentatively his name is Steve (I'm a huge Cap fan), but it may change, we'll see.

I'm a Science Lab teacher for elementary school, so he will make the switch to school in a few weeks. But I only have kiddos in my room 3 hours total per day, so I don't think it will be an issue. Good thing is I will get a grant for him in a few weeks.

So two main questions, does his tank look okay for now? Seems slightly crowded to me but he seems to like crawling all over everything I have in there and perching on the different logs and rocks. And of course he tries to swim in his water bowl lol. It is only a 20g, because that's what I owned already, but he'll get upgraded as soon as my grant comes. Basking light is a 75w and for night I don't have anything right now. I keep my house at 77-78 degrees so I don't think night will be an issues. He'll get a cerarmic night bulb in a few days just in case.

Eating and pooping...crickets only for right this second, I'll get him something else as well in a few days. He ate about 15 yesterday and another 8 or so today. I also gave him some diced cucumber and kale. He went nuts for it! But it's been more than 24 hours and he hasn't pooped yet...read about giving a warm bath but wasn't sure if I should do that so soon after bringing him home.

Here are some pictures! I'm so glad to be here!
93496-7039121301.jpg
93496-3550542542.jpg
93496-2889406332.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks nice and healthy. Do you have a UVB light for him? I would offer squash instead of cucumber and kale is OK sometimes but I'd ensure it's part of a wider variety. I use collards and turnip greens a lot as staples but I try to offer as much variety as possible. This is a good list to reference for ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html I just rotate what I offer depending on what's fresh at the market.

MsFrizzle

Original Poster
Yeah he seems to be quite the character!

UVB light is on the list for immediate pickup very soon.

I read acorn squash and yellow squash... I'll get some of the other greens. I actually juice veggies for my meals once or twice a day, so I normally have collard and mustard in the fridge.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's nice to be able to share veges with them. I've had good luck with all kinds of squash. Zucchini is in season and easy to find now. I just picked up a few huge ones at the farmers market last night and it's a favorite. Chopped up green beans are also popular with my dragon.

I recommend investing in a high quality UVB light. A T5 like this would be ideal http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ but it's a bit too powerful for a 20g tank. When you upgrade to a full sized 4'x2'x2' tank it will be perfect. A T8 ReptiSun 10.0 18'' with a reflective fixture like the Zilla Slimline is a good choice for the 20g tanks. A 26w UVB 200 in a reflective dome fixture would work as well. I'd consider these to be stopgaps though as they don't put out nearly as much UVB as the T5 will (closer to sunlight levels).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom