Bearded dragon intro article!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have a two-year-old bearded dragon named Sunny, and I have written a summary post on my blog about caring for bearded dragons, which some new owners may find helpful. The article is "How to care for bearded dragons" (posted on Sunday July 23 2017, at https://mantarayideas.blogspot.com/). I've had a great time caring for Sunny and I've referenced these forums many times! It's nice to officially say hello!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Some serious issues .

The most obvious :
>>> mesh hammock
>>> inadequate UV lighting
>>> temperatures

As to the Mormon stuff .... :roll: .... I'm not a believer (in god or the bible) so not interested in conversion , IMO that stuff is not necessary to include and only serves to distract from the guide/caresheet you are trying to assemble. But nice try at evangelizing .... :lol: .... please don't come aknocking at my door ....

Here's my cheetsheet : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

feel free to cut and paste from there to improve your guide .

Worth your while to work through it methodically to find the needed tweeks and improvements needed to keep your pet healthy and happy.

VeritessaLee

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for your feedback!

Re: my other blog posts - I discuss a lot of different topics on my blog, not just beardies, so I'm sorry if you did not like the contents of my other posts. Regarding the religion-related post, I'm actually not attempting to convert anyone, as you can see from my specification of the "intended audience" at the beginning of the post. If I could have linked directly to the beardie article, I would have. I figured that since I provided a clear title it would be easy to find the beardie article and skip over anything else the person's not interested in.

Regarding your comments,
(a) what's specifically wrong with the UV setup? It is fine according to your own description, the books I have read, and many of the threads on this website.
(b) what's wrong with mesh hammocks? I'm curious to know because I know they are very commonly used, but I am wondering if you have seen specific problems with them. The hammock was a present, and my beardie seems to like it fine, and hasn't had any health problems from it...? Please let me know!

Thank you!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
VeritessaLee":1qi51dva said:
Hi! Thanks for your feedback!

Re: my other blog posts - I discuss a lot of different topics on my blog, not just beardies, so I'm sorry if you did not like the contents of my other posts. Regarding the religion-related post, I'm actually not attempting to convert anyone, as you can see from my specification of the "intended audience" at the beginning of the post. If I could have linked directly to the beardie article, I would have. I figured that since I provided a clear title it would be easy to find the beardie article and skip over anything else the person's not interested in.

Regarding your comments,
(a) what's specifically wrong with the UV setup? It is fine according to your own description, the books I have read, and many of the threads on this website.
Coil compacts are not an adequate source of uvb, they cause eye irritation, eye infections and, blindness because they operate on the wrong light frequencies (wave lengths). They don't spread the uvb across they viv, they just focus it all in one spot.
(b) what's wrong with mesh hammocks? I'm curious to know because I know they are very commonly used, but I am wondering if you have seen specific problems with them. The hammock was a present, and my beardie seems to like it fine, and hasn't had any health problems from it...? Please let me know!
They are not recommended because of the danger of snagging claws in them. Dragons will struggle very hard to dislodge a snagged claw, sometimes pulling the claw out, pulling the finger or toe off, sometimes dislocating joints and, breaking legs and, arms. So this is why he said what he did.

We only say these things to enlighten folks, this was not meant to disrespect you in any way! We were just concerned that people reading your blog might do something detrimental to their dragon if they followed what you were saying. Our main goal here is maintaining good healthy dragons.... We love our scaley little friends!

Thank you!

VeritessaLee

Original Poster
Hi!
In my blog post I say, "Do NOT use a localized dome UV light because that will not disperse UV throughout the whole tank, and in some cases can damage dragons' eyes." I then state, "Do NOT use a "tanning bed" light because that will be way too much UV and will harm your dragon. You should only use long tubular UV lamps that are specifically made for reptiles, such as the ReptiSun 10.0 UVB."

I'm not quite sure where the confusion came from...I completely agree with you that dome lamps are not good as a UV source. Perhaps it's because of my dome-shaped heat lamps? But those are only for heat, not UV. My UV light is the long white bar that goes the full length of the tank. I'm not sure how to make it any more clear than what I already stated in the post. ??

As for the hammock, thank you very much for that information! I had no idea that dragons could injure themselves on hammocks, especially since I read a few posts on this site where people said they were great (I guess they didn't have your level of experience.) So, I will add an edit to my blog post about the potential dangers of hammocks! Thank you!!

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
If you really want a hammock and know how to use a sewing machine, you may be interested in making your own :) just make sure it's a fabric that they can't easily snag their claws on!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
VeritessaLee":f23atfwo said:
Hi!
In my blog post I say, "Do NOT use a localized dome UV light because that will not disperse UV throughout the whole tank, and in some cases can damage dragons' eyes." I then state, "Do NOT use a "tanning bed" light because that will be way too much UV and will harm your dragon. You should only use long tubular UV lamps that are specifically made for reptiles, such as the ReptiSun 10.0 UVB."

I'm not quite sure where the confusion came from...I completely agree with you that dome lamps are not good as a UV source. Perhaps it's because of my dome-shaped heat lamps? But those are only for heat, not UV. My UV light is the long white bar that goes the full length of the tank. I'm not sure how to make it any more clear than what I already stated in the post. ??
My sincere apologies, I misread it!

As for the hammock, thank you very much for that information! I had no idea that dragons could injure themselves on hammocks, especially since I read a few posts on this site where people said they were great (I guess they didn't have your level of experience.) So, I will add an edit to my blog post about the potential dangers of hammocks! Thank you!!

As for the other blogs, I am a firm believer in our lord and savoir, Jesus Christ. You asked us to read your bearded dragon blog. So that being said, there was no need for comment on other blogs posted there, but I had to in defense of our savior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom