Hi I'm new here, I have questions related to Melanistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

katastic2908

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I was hoping someone could possibly answer a question or two. I tried Google which led me here!
Yesterday while at my local pet store buying worms for my older beardie and I noticed this little guy or gal and his friend inside a tank at the store. The darker one especially, I'd never seen one this dark. Well it didn't take much and now my home has two more residents. I tried to find information on the color of the dark one, and I found some stuff, which led me to the term Melanistic. Do you think that's what I have? He's a total sweetheart and the both of them together are adorable the way they cuddle. My older beardie, Karla (started out as Karl until eggs appeared) we rescued from one of my daughter's friends, she seems very interested in them, not aggressive, she cooks her head to one side then looks at me. Could they all three ever live together in a large encloser? Well if they are all girls I mean, I don't want to breed them.
full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you have a very diverse family of beardies. :) The one is quite dark, but that can [ and usually does ] change a lot as they grow. Be very careful with them near your adult.....beardies do not get an evil glint in their eye before attacking a smaller dragon. { What I mean is that she may try to eat them.] I've been around beardies since the 90's and I know what they can do, so keep the babies away from your adult. It's sad that it is that way.

Best to have a separate tank for each dragon right off the bat. Some adult females can be kept together but there's always the chance of a toe, foot or part of a tail getting bitten off.

But enjoy your new babies and post pics of the progression of the dark one to show how the color turns out, it will be interesting to see. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nice couple of hatchlings . Not ordinarily interested in morphs , but the dark one is likely a "black tiger morph".

I STRONGLY suggest housing them each in a converted tut or tote to start off (from the get go) , the bigger hatchling will dominate and possibly even injure or kill the smaller if you house them together , at the very least , the smaller will be so stressed by the larger hatchling that it will fail to thrive and grow .
Two 100L tubs will house them happily for their first year - 18 months at which time they'll be lots bigger and needing their full sized forever homes (4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T timber vivs with solid lids and sliding glass front doors are the best arrangement for each adult).

NEVER let your adult beardie be near either of the hatchlings , it will only see them as snacks .

Here's how I house my baby skinks and hatchling dragons,

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

can easily convert two 100L tubs in a morning if you have everything you need on hand.

I find that stacking the tubs is the best option when you only have two hatchlings to rear, they cant see each other except when one is out if its tub.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
katastic2908":lqn3db96 said:
Could they all three ever live together in a large encloser? Well if they are all girls I mean, I don't want to breed them.
Short answer is NO , not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom