Chuckie Finster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled

Hello all... I am a brand new beardie owner. Well actually this is my sons beardie that my in laws gifted him for getting straight A's but I have fell in love. His name is Chuckie (from rugrats) but I still don't know if he's a boy or girl. Lol. Not sure how old he is because Petsmart does not know. We have had him for about 10 days and he's made me nervous all 10 friggin days lol. Here's a few pics of Chuckie while we are sitting outside getting some sun and eating some salad.
93075-2841398735.jpg
93075-2788460111.jpg
93075-5153255002.jpg

One thing I notice is that inside of his tank, he has the stress marks. When I take him outside, he doesn't. He clearly doesn't like his tank. I have a Basking rock, zoomed 100w spot lamp, water bowl and salad bowl. The tank is 10 gallons. I plan to upgrade all of this asap. I have the reptisun 10.0 T5 on the way from amazon. I think I should get a bigger tank. What do you all suggest? He doesn't eat many crickets at all. He doesn't seem to show much interest. I plopped one in his tank this morning around 8 and it's still there hopping around. Not sure why.

Temp in his tank is around 100 on basking side and 83 on cool side.
Any help would be great.

ChristinaMike

Hatchling Member
I have a small one from Petsmart as well. We have had her (I believe it is) since June 16. It took her a couple of weeks to get comfortable but we discovered she does NOT want or like crickets.

We invested in some dubia roaches and she loves those... she will run to her food bowl when I come over at food times ?? After roaches, I tried to give the last batch of crickets.. she snubbed her nose and walked off so that answered that question lol

Eta: basking spot should be between 105-110... mine seems to prefer it super warm so I keep it about 110

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks like quite a happy guy. I like his name. My guy is Darwin but in my head he has Chuckie's voice when he talks. I would definitely get a bigger tank for him. That will give him some space and will allow you to set a proper heat and UVB gradient. 10g is much too small. I would go with at least a 40g breeder for now and ultimately plan on building something 4x2x2' or larger. The dark marks don't necessarily mean he doesn't like his tank. They will darken their colors to help absorb light and heat so he could just be doing that while he is basking and enjoying the lighting. The little guys have a more pronounced pattern on their bellies and that's often misconstrued as stress when it's just them darkening their body for basking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom