HE DOESNT LIKE HEAT?? Comments Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDrisc11

A mini heads up....a few paragraphs below! Want to give you all a full description as to help and aid with any potential issues. Thank you greatly in advance,

Hellloooo!! New member here. And with the thread title...new beardie owner also. First one! Did research for months to ensure I was comfortable with everything needed for a young guy. That being said, may be cautious here but looking for advice:

My guy arrived today. He is I think 2-3mo old (waiting for breeder confirmation again--see PIX). Unpacked within half hour & in the tank. I got a nice 40G tank set going..drift wood to climb, basking rock, hiding space, trees, solid cork background. See the pix attached..... right away I got him some greens, water, and some worms. He ate the worms, I kept them going. Ate 24 worms in about 9m (seems not bad for first time new spot).

Anyway...seemed normal. A little timid and confused as I would expect with a new place. 3 times in about 55 minutes kept facing the side glass and trying to crawl, and obviously went up the glass wall.... BUT one thing confuses me. He has stayed on that side, the cold side, all day....has not moved outside of one foot of the right side. LEFT SIDE HAS THE hot light and basking rock. Even room to play in between!!...space to stretch the legs a little.

So please SEE PIX and let me know...any comments as to why hes hardly moving outside the one side of tank?? One thing i also notice is...from inside tank, the front glass reflects HARD...is it possible beardie is scared because he sees another one (himself) in the glass reflection??

Sorry for long post. If you actually made it this far reading then I really appreciate any feedback. Looking forward to the community!

**Seems pix aren't linking to post???. Clicked on the XIMG button above, opens up separate tab which doesn't really show the upload hooked into this post. Please let me know so I can updateeee**

CDrisc11

Original Poster
Gormagon":2bx0wnug said:
Hello,
You can upload pics at this link, https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list
Then hit the XIMG tab.
It it always good to see some trying to better the lives of their dragons, welcome my friend...Welcome!
What kind of worms???

Thank you for the warm welcome! That link takes me to another page again..is there a way I can make the pix linked to this post so you all can see what I'm talking about?

Gave him silkworms to start here. Got reptiworms and calciworms coming tomorrow. Then obv some Dubia and crickets. Although not sure how that would relate to my issue of him on the cold side??

Lookin forward to the response.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
What are the temperature in his viv?
Basking
Warm end under the elevated basking spot
Cool end opposite the basking area

How do you get the temps?

It may be to hot on the warm end.

When you open the link, it has a list to the left. One of the options (middle one) says upload image. Click on it and it opens a venue to the right follow the instructions to upload, it really simple. This is the place that you download them from with the XIMG tab

CDrisc11

Original Poster
Gormagon":1y4xdj31 said:
What are the temperature in his viv?
Basking
Warm end under the elevated basking spot
Cool end opposite the basking area

How do you get the temps?

It may be to hot on the warm end.

When you open the link, it has a list to the left. One of the options (middle one) says upload image. Click on it and it opens a venue to the right follow the instructions to upload, it really simple. This is the place that you download them from with the XIMG tab

GORMAGON! Thank you so much for responding again . And please anybody else who may read - check out below. Just want keepcmy beard healthy!!

GOR - when I'm back in 1 hour will try to load pix the right way from computer - mobile now.

75-80 cold side. 90-95 on basking rock which is 6-7 inches from heat source. I Want to be hotter also but again, been one day. He he still has yet to approach that side and climb, and I hope its bc he's timid and figuring out new spot.

Woke up today and he was still in cold corner after sleeping.

I have a Fluker's lamp and ceramic bulb to bask in with climbing access. I don't know if I need to add another light or what. Also got a a ReptiSun 5.0 bulb 22" UV for general light.

Just want to make sure he's getting enough beat and calcium. Still very new but I love this dude.if I can do pix later you'll see!! Thanks again.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
One thing I do want to point out is that you should probably get a 10.0 UVB bulb. The 5.0 UVB that you have isn't really going to be getting sufficient UVB to the beardie.
Has their behavior changed at all? It could also just be that the beardie doesn't like heat so much or that they're getting used to the enclosure. My beardies will avoid the hot side of their tanks if it exceeds the low 90s! What times of day are you observing your dragon? I used to think my oldest never left her perch, but over the weekend I realized she does all her moving during the day while I'm at work.
Edit: I just realized you had said UV and not UVB :lol: but regardless there should still be UVB because lack of can affect your dragon's behavior/health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom